Thursday, January 2, 2014

Slain in the Spirit

Question asked: Is "falling in the spirit" of God or not of God and why?

I will say overall I am very cautious of this practice, because there is also something called a Kundalini spirit from Hinduism.  Hindus also cause their people to "fall back in the spirit" when they lay their hands on them but it is another spirit, which is an evil spirit.

The Kundalini spirit is said to be the Holy Spirit of Hinduism and it is represented by fire.

The Kundalini spirit also has the power to heal people.  It gives people peace etc. 

This is why I am cautious of this practice in general. 

Also Jesus never caused anyone to "fall back in the Spirit."

Please watch this on this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X1HC-3s3uI

Many will use the verse to back up this practice where the people were coming to arrest Jesus and they fell backwards. 

But these people were in trouble with God.  They weren't being blessed by God by any means. They were betraying Jesus and coming to arrest him!  Therefore it would seem falling backward shows God's judgment of someone, not his blessing.

From a friend:

John 18:4-8

King James Version (KJV)

4 J"esus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?

5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.

6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:"

Notice first, they were not overcome by the Holy Spirit as those who are "slain in the Spirit" CLAIM to be.

Second, "they went backward" does not mean they fell backwards (like those in charismatic circles), it actually is stating that they drew backwards, or stepped backwards.

The fell to the ground in verse 6 not because of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. They were not Christians!!!!! Then Why?

Because they recognized that Jesus is the I AM (verse six and eight).

To confirm this further, We can see in the Apostle Paul's conversion this happen as well. (Acts 9:3-5)

3 As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven.

4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”

5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?”

Paul fell because her recognized Jesus as LORD!

This has nothing to do with Spirit baptism causing one to be slain in the spirit.
 
 
Those who say it is not of God:

"There is not a single occurrence in the word of God that a person who falls down when the Holy Spirit empowers him. Though, the Bible speaks of a good number of accounts on the exhibition of the power of God. None of them gives us any clue on slain in spirit.

As Paul says to the Corinthians: ‘but the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal’ (1Cor. 12:7). If the falling down of a person is the manifestation of the spirit, then we must conclude that the falling of a person brings profit to all. Where is the benefit of this to us all?

A look into the Word of God will show us that today's falling or being slain in the Spirit (as it is called in Charismatic circles) is clearly unbiblical in its manner.

Matthew 17:6: “And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid”. The fell because they were afraid.

People who fell, fell on their face when they received the Holy Spirit, they did not fall backwards ever in the Bible (Ez. 1:28; Dan. 10:9).

Yes, when the people of the Bible saw the glory and power of the Lord, they themselves trembled and fell down before him, but God commanded them to stand upright(Dan. 11:11; Ez. 2:1; Mat. 17:6,7; Rev. 1:17-19). Today, such charismatic leaders are pushing followers to fall down and don’t want to see them being told to stand.

There are MANY scriptures that demonstrate the fallacy of today's practice of being slain in the spirit.

Remember, Scripture will never contradict Scripture. If what you are seeing is contrary to the Word of God, something is seriously wrong with what you are seeing!

Let me conclude it quoting the words of Apostle John as a note of caution: “If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed” (2 Jn. 10)."


(Very good!)

"Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy.  Have you ever noticed, while people start holy laughter, barking in the church and other clowning happens, the worship stops.  In some places the worship may carry on but the attention of the people is not on the worship but at those clowns. There you go the devil killed the worship, stolen and destroyed the attention of people. These things are not from God but an evil spirit. It is evil spirits manipulating them."

"To answer your question directly let me say (and this is my option, the word of God is the real source for truth) is "falling in the spirit of God?” well I think what we seen most times in a church’s today when someone comes and lay hands on someone, they fall back into their seats or into the arms of someone there to catch them etc. I don’t see that as being biblical, keep in mind the enemy mimics and mocks God at every opportunity to deceive and show that he is God. 

However we see in scripture “falling down” is due to surrender or worship there is no need to be caught by someone (i.e. Proverbs 25:26 (KJV) A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring.; Luke 8:47 (KJV) And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.; and more importantly we see in 1 Corinthians 14:25 (KJV) And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth."

(I fully agree)

"Honestly, I have been to a church that had a guest speaker. Everyone who went up for prayer feel back, Including myself. I immediately discerned that it wasn't Godly... it felt strange. The word says many things about strange things. I'll never do that again. And I'll never let anyone anoint me with oil unless it's my pastor or church elder."

"We try to repackage God so much we try to put new names on old stuff to try to( sell ) Christianity to the unsaved. Uncommon favor, slain in spirit, super natural break through, this is not of God but of people."

"Do you mean slain in the spirit? Like at church or a church type meeting and you fall down with your eyes closed (usually)? Yes it is the Holy Spirit coming over you and you just go down. Pastors lay their hands on people's heads as their praying or sway their hands back and forth across a crowd of people and the Holy Spirits presence is so strong you just go down."

(Yes this is never described as happening in the Bible.  Odd don't you think?)

"Throughout the testaments when they would fall, they would fall prostrate before the Lord."

My thought: "Yes exactly.  They would fall forward on their face, but I think they still had control.  Like they would lay themselves down.   They also didn't fall backwards but forwards."
 
"The practice came from African pagan religions called spirit slaying. It was introduced to the "church" by 1st generation freed African slaves. It was first practiced in the Methodist plantation churches in the mid to late 1800 then came into Pentecostalism when it was invented in 1901. In the pagan ritual it was a group of people standing in a circle and walking in one direction until the spirits slew someone (fell down). In fact we still see the results of this practice in what we call the cake walk today. except when the music stops a prize is given. The plantation owners use to have their slave perform this ritual to entertain guests. the winner received a cabbage roll with vegetables in it called a "cake".

"In our church only the same 2 people always are 'slain in the spirit'....the gay man married to a man and a gossip. The rest of us have never 'fallen in the spirit'."
 
(lol)

""Slain in the Spirit" is found nowhere in scripture, so "of God", I really don't know, I'm not one to put God in a box, but I will say it is not biblical.  I'm sorry but none of those scriptures speak on being slain in the Spirit. They do however show the reverent fear of God's people to fall on their faces (bow at His feet) out of respect and understanding of who they are in the presence of."
 
My thought: "yes I agree with you very good. I think when it talks in the Bible of people falling on their face it is of their own will. They cause themselves to fall. It is not some other spirit that causes them to fall."
 
"I am 3rd generation Pentecostal.. my great grandparents were part of the holiness movement prior to 1900 and converted to Pentecostalism in the early 1900s. My grandparents were founders of the first Assembly of God denomination in Illinois in 1923. I was raised in the church, Educated in their Universities and pastored their churches.... GOD SAVED ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now redeemed, covenantal, confessional and creedal....Reformed.........................I saw a movie depicting an Hindu ritual and the red thing in their forehead is somewhat a third eye. In the movie when the head priest will put his finger in that eye you will slain or fall down."
 
"Yes I have seen videos that this might be a Hindu thing that is infiltrating Christianity sadly very true."
 
"So this slain or fallen in the spirit is a borrowed thing that brought to us. I was practically practicing a pagan ritual. Now I repent from that and be a pupil of the word."
 
"Ecstatic utterances are also from pagan African practice. What is called "tongues" today is nothing more then gibberish introduced by Charles Parham in 1901. The so called, "church" took many pagan practices introduced by 1st generation freed slaves and adapted them to fit the gifts spoken of by Paul..... "
 

"I am of a Pentecostal background... I also fall during the laying of hands and do also to others. I was amazed and I thought I have a power. But when I started to examine the bible about that experienced... in the book of Acts nowhere can you find such experience. My conclusion my experience cannot be justified in the bible so therefore I need to stop it. And besides filled with the spirit is by faith... not some emotional thing...I hope this will help you."
 
 
 
Those who say that it is of God:
 
"The Holy Spirit was sent to comfort and be a constant reminder of Jesus Christ. He also was a presenter of gifts from God. God is never involved in confusion or foolishness. Falling backwards, or jumping around, or anything that would cause a distraction is of the devil and not of God. Slain in the spirit is a person personally acknowledging the presence of God."

"It is called being slain in the spirit.. It is a touch from God and sometimes in His presence you can not stand ( it is in the bible) I think you have to be in total submission.. But God can do whatever He wants! A lot of times God is doing something or speaking to someone while they are down."

"There is the false—mimicking spirits (Acts 20:29); and there is the real—Holy Spirit. This is why the Word of God, in 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 tell us, “And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.”

Many times when someone falls back, after being touched by the presence/power of God, a healing or some other work of the Holy Spirit is taking place. I can recall a time, years ago, while in a church service, I had pain in my chest. The pastor (man of God) prayed for me, and he laid his hand on my forehead. The presence and power of God caused me to fall backward on the floor. When I got up, the pain was gone; and a heavy burden was lifted and I felt the joy of the Lord. I don’t think I will ever forget that!

Also, John 18:6 says, “As soon then as he (Jesus) had said unto them, I AM HE, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” Praise God!


(That verse was referring to people who were in trouble with God though, not Christians.  Something to keep in mind about all this.  Also the kundalini spirit can heal people as well and imitate God, as this women is saying.(

"People react differently to the Presence of God. This is clear as you read through the Bible. Many people were overcome with His Presence and found it difficult to stand when His Presence came in a powerful, tangible way. I have been in full time ministry for many years and have seen the real and the not real where this is concerned. Be careful not to put God in a box and say this cannot happen. He might just untie your box. God can do what He wants at anytime."

"I was in a worship service and as they worshipped a pain in my spirit was increasing. I had sinned and seemed to have oppression on my life. A youth pastor and the kids surrounded me and laid hands on me to pray. All of a sudden I crumpled to the floor, legs buckled and I felt Gods presence on me. I stood feeling well and free able to worship again."

"People most definitely react differently to the Holy Spirit. Personally my eyes water as if I am crying, but I am not. I have on occasion fallen back right onto my back in concerns to the Spirit, but not always."


 
"Being in the Spirit doesn't mean one has to be unconscious, that's something else. Having an encounter with the power of God doesn't send a man to a sub-conscious mode."
 
"yes i know what it is cause i have been slain in the spirit before....it felt as if i was in a cloud here are some scriptures i found.....
 
"Yes often times the Glory of God can be so "weighty" that man in the natural cannot stand but would "fall' under that weight of the power of Gods Glory. Often times the Spirit would minister new life to that person but it would be his responsibility to walk in what the Holy Spirit has done... unfortunately not everyone that is "falling in the spirit" walks in what the Spirit has ministered at that time. This, however, does not make the experience of falling under the Glory to no value..... Example of even ungodly falling under the power is when Jesus was to be arrested At his Words "I AM HE" they fell under the power of His Words."
 
 
 
Supposed verses that support this practice:
 
Bible Verses About Being Slain in the Spirit from the King James Version:
 
Questions to ask yourself about these verses.....Does it seem that in all these verse people fell forwards and not backwards?   Like on their knees? Also is falling in these verses referring to someone still conscious or someone who has become unconscious?



Revelation 1:17 - And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Matthew 17:6 - And when the disciples heard [it], they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.

Daniel 8:17 - So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end [shall be] the vision.


John 18:6 - As soon then as he had said unto them, I am [he], they went backward, and fell to the ground.


(Keep in mind that verse refers to those who were coming to arrest Jesus.  They were in trouble with God and they fell backwards.  Every other account the people seem to be falling forward.)


What is your take on all this?  May God give you and I wisdom.  In Jesus' name Amen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment