Thursday, January 3, 2013

Personal Legends

I would like to write about my uncles cause they have all lived some pretty amazing lives!  I have 6 uncles.  My dad was the youngest of 5 boys and my mom was in the middle with 2 brothers and one sister.  And also about my brother and best friend.....all personal legends to me; people that I will never forget and will always have a special place in my heart. :)  Thank you to all of you for being such great, amazing people. :)

I will start with my Uncle Robert.  I have always greatly admired him.  I remember when I was a kid watching a meteor shower with him in his back yard.  He has always driven Harley motorcycles and I always thought that was beyond cool lol.  At some point he owned like 5 Harleys.  He now has a BMW and 2 cute and fun to ride red scooters.  He has his own roofing business.  Once when he was younger he did a hand stand on a rail over the Grand Canyon.  I have always thought he was incredibly cool.  I have always greatly admired his zest for life and wanted to emulate his adventurous spirit!  He lives in San Diego. 

I used to go down and visit him once a month when I saw my grandma before she died.  We went on a hike once and he went on and one to me about money lol and how I needed to invest in real estate.  He was always like a second dad to me and I always wanted to be like him more than anyone else I've known.  I always admired him more than my actual dad because he has accomplished so much.  He has the coolest personality of anyone I've ever known.  He is not afraid to take risks and do crazy things.  He used to drink a lot but then got into AA and has been sober for quite awhile.  He will not even touch alcohol now.  His wife is a paralegal and they have always been pretty well off as far as money.  They have a very cute little dog named Utah and a beautiful house.

My second favorite uncle has always been my Uncle Mike who lives in Alaska.  He has been a salmon fisherman, a state senator, a journalist....he ran the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska.  He has been a Civics college professors for many years now.  There is almost nothing he can't do.  And the best thing of all is that he has the kindest most soft heart I have ever known anyone to have.  He has so much love for everyone he comes in contact with.  You can just tell he cares deeply about you if  he talks to you. 

Both of these uncles were raised Catholic and aren't necessarily Christian,just spiritual,but they are 10 times nicer than any "Christian" people I have ever met. 

I have another uncle in Salinas, California who built his own log cabin.  I don't know a whole lot else about him except that he was a forest ranger, which I always thought had to be one of the coolest jobs in the world! :)

I have another uncle who gets to live in Kona, Hawaii, which who doesn't want to live in Hawaii? lol  I stayed with him for a summer and was a nanny for my cousins.  He owns a very successful tile and marble company.  It was pretty cool when I was down there seeing "DAVIS TILE AND MARBLE" in huge letters on a very nice building.  And I got to drive around their company van that summer that had the same logo so I have always been very proud of my last name being Davis. :)  He has a beautiful house overlooking the ocean.  Every night when I was there at sunset I would take a picture of the sunset over the ocean.  I got to drive around the island with my grand parents one weekend.  My unlce used to run an apple orchard and taught himself how to do things with tile and marble in his own work shop.  His experimentation led to his having a very successful business in Kona.  I don't think anyone taught him all the things he knows.  He was self taught.  And now has about 10 men working under him.

Another uncle I have literallly gets paid to travel the world.  He teaches new computer programs to people.  The coolest thing I thought was he got to fly to Japan for work.  I cannot imagine a better job than getting paid to see the world! :)  He owns the coolest convertible car I have ever seen and has a nice studio apartment in Costa Mesa. 

And then there is my brother, who has always been the funniest person I have ever known.  He can do like a dozen voices, the best being Milton from Office Space.  He does it even better than the guy who plays Milton lol.  He has a million funny faces and he can always make me laugh.  He is an incredible artist and I have always been amazed how he can draw almost anything.  He has gotten to do some pretty cool things too.  He followed the band the Grateful Dead for awhile and he's been on countless road trips all over the U.S.  He gave me my first car, my first seriously cool stereo and my first ipod.  He taught me how to write cursive and do multiplication when I was younger.  I have always admired his independence and his ability to think on his feet.  He has had to fend for himself since he was 18 and I know it has been a very hard road for him, but he has endured and I admired that the most about him.  He's had a lot of heart breaks with girls but he still believes something great is out there.  He never gives up hope.  He has had so many things happen in his life but he doesn't let any of that stop him.  He has the most amazing perseverance I have ever seen in a person. :)  I love you Nate! :)

And last but not least, my friend Ashley.  I know I will never find another friend quite like her.  I haven known Ashley for 15 years and she is amazing.  She also, like my brother, has persevered through so many things and not given up.  She has suffered enormous amounts of physical pain but she is still the sweetest person I have ever known.  She has always been the best friend a girl could ask for.  She has always been the best listener I have ever known.  She aslo like my brother has an incredible zest for life and optimism that never seems to die no matter what happens to her.  I look up to her in many ways; her independence and confidence.  She is the best female I have ever known.  Most women I have known honestly are just drama or they complain all the time or are very self centered.  Ashley almost never complains, she has never been drama about anything and she is the most giving and selfless person I have ever known.  I love Ashley!  And I miss her now that I'm in Australia.  Hopefully I will see you again someday my friend.  Thank you for being such an amazing friend! :)

Thinking about all these people I see how much God has really blessed me by putting such amazing people in my life!  People cross our paths for a reason.  I currently know another amazing person, a guy, and time will tell where that goes.  But God is so amazing in how he has put people in my life.  Thank you God for all the mentors you have given me; people that I could look up to and try to emulate.  People that I could admire and cause me to have faith in humanity despite the ugly sides of humanity.

Thank you God for great people.  Amen. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment