Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What is Salvation and Can It Be Lost?

I was in a class in college on the book Augustine's Confessions.  The question was posed by the professor, "What is salvation really?  And when is someone actually saved?"  One person said maybe getting really saved is a life long process.  There is the verse in Ephesians about being sealed by the Holy Spirit when we are saved, meaning once saved always saved.  Eph. 1:13 says, "You also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory."

There is also the verse, "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."  Also, "If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord you will be saved."

So how is it that some people once believe everything and then one day they all of a sudden do not?  I encountered this with a teacher in high school and then just now with a close friend.  It baffled me the first time and this second time it did again.  I remember with my teacher I thought how could it be that he once believed everything I do and now does not?  Was he then not saved in the first place or did he, as some believe is possible, loose his salvation?  Or is he merely confused but still saved?  Paul does refer to something called "falling from grace."  That could be what happened with these people I have known.  And perhaps "falling from grace" is just kind of like a time out with God but not a cutting off. 

It is hard to say.  I personally have never questioned anything regarding my faith.  I always say I was saved at 14 but I may have been "saved" since I was like 4 because I have always had "spiritual eyes" to see God clearly.  I do not remember a time when the Bible did not make sense to me.  Praise God my mom raised me in church and taught me the Bible A LOT when I was growing up.  I started memorizing countless Bible verses since I was about 9. 

I have always seen everything about the Bible clearly.  None of it has ever confused me, except the issue of election still gets me sometimes lol.  But I have never questioned God's existence or the fact that Jesus is God's son.  It has never even entered my head to doubt anything in the Bible.  I have always seen the entire Bible as a literal account of exactly what happened. 

Paul tells us as Christians to take up the sword of the spirit and the shield of faith.  Faith keeps us from doubting God when Satan wants to fill our minds with lies.  The spirit speaks to us and helps us fight off the enemy. 

If we cannot hear the spirit and do not have much faith, we become more vulnerable to Satan's attacks.  This may have been what happened with my teacher and my friend.  They simply lost sight of things somehow.  It still is largely a mystery to me though.

Jesus does talk in the parable of the seeds about seed that fell on thorny ground.  The worries of this life choked out what appeared to be growth.  So does that seem to indicate that one can loose their salvation?  How can someone bear fruit and then not?  Also why are there verses about "any tree that no longer bears good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire?"  Does that mean there is no hope for those who "fall away" or get confused?

James 5:19-20 says, "My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back,  remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins."  I hope that I can find people that wander from the truth and bring them back. 

I have done this many times with my brother.  He has been on and off again in his faith for the last 10 years or so.  My uncle was "fallen away" and I almost had him convinced that he wanted to be a pastor lol.  He was reading spiritual growth books like crazy and involved in Bible studies and about to go to seminary.  But then things happened and he fell away again. 

The spiritual walk is harder for some people than others.  And it seems to be harder for men for some reason. 

May God keep us all on track and on the path.  And may he send people to pick us up if/when we fall.  And may he help us to be able to pick others up when they fall, cause we all fall sometimes. 

God bless and take care! :)

1 comment:

  1. First of all I'd like to say that I don't think I have ever "lost my faith". It might not look the same as yours but I also have what you call "spiritual eyes". There is a fire inside me, always has been and probably will be till I die. God = Love, kindness, goodness and compassion. It is a feeling, a warmth, a passion that burns for all these things. There are things in Bible that I do not feel are in line with these basic principles and are not from God. But I can not in good conscience put a name on what is beyond or human capacity of understanding, nor keep it in an exclusive box with specific instructions on how to open. Like I said, it's a feeling. My best advise to let it grow bright, that's what ppl will see.

    ReplyDelete