Friday, February 3, 2017

In Praise of my Biggest Leaders

In Community Bible study next we are studying "Church Leadership," which I found ironic when I found out since I'm now helping lead worship for the first time with a big group.  I used to lead worship for a small Bible study of about 15 people for a year.  But that was a small group and singing with a guitar.  Now it's with about 100 women and singing with a piano, which actually is a bit harder.  But God is giving me the grace to do relatively well lol.  I thought doing something like this would make me prideful and feel like a rock star, but it actually is making me pretty humble because if I mess up on just one note I beat myself up over it.  I need to give myself more grace on that for sure.  Pray for me about that please.  Thanks :)

But overall it's a lot of fun. I'm making great friends with the ladies I sing with and our piano player so that is really cool. Thank you God for that. Amen.

Here is a good passage from our intro commentary to this study on church leadership: "As you study 1 Timothy, consider the influencers in your life.  What have you learned from them, good or bad?"  I will focus on the good things I've learned from leaders in my life.

From my grandma I learned to be outgoing and to love others in big ways.  To really express love.  I learned from her the importance of encouraging people as much as I can by what I say.  She was always calling people her angel and complimenting them.  She was a very charming person. 

We are going to see her in a few weeks so that will be nice. :)  She will finally get to meet me two daughters yay....

From my mom I learned to be sweet, gentle and patient.  She wasn't always perfectly patient, but the majority of the time she was.  I tend to want to rush through things and be impatient.  But she taught me the importance of slowing down and enjoying the journey more. :)  She was always great at paying attention to detail and doing a thing right rather than fast, which I always admired. :)

From my brother I learned the importance of having others respect you.  I think my brother's number one thing is that people respect him and he does what he can to earn that respect.  That became one of my missions with others was that people respect me and to not be a push over.  It is kind of my pet peeve when people act disrespectfully toward me, which I guess I got from my brother.  But it's good to want people to respect us and not be a door mat. :)

From my husband I learned the importance of commitment and working hard.  He has not taken one single sick day since I met him, which was 4 years ago.  Talk about an AMAZING work ethic!  GO BEN!  He is an amazingly hard worker.  Plus he has worked over 12 hour days the last four years too.  When he met me he said to me "I'll work hard for you."  And I was thinking, "Alright baby let's get married!" lol :)  But that really is what every woman needs the most, a man who will work hard for her and her kids.  Women work hard to take care of their little babies, so men should work hard to provide.  Amen. :)  But that's just how I feel on that subject. 

From my grandpa I learned how to be a spiritual leader, more than anyone else in my life.  He would always speak up boldly at family get togethers and ask us all to share what God has been teaching us.  Or at Thanksgiving he would tell us all to go around and share what we were thankful for.  Even if it made people feel awkward, he didn't care. lol.  His number one agenda was always God and what we could share about God.  I always greatly, greatly admired that about him!  He was the biggest God man I ever knew, as in a man who was all about God.  He was the choir director at church for many years so that probably gave him a stronger commitment to God and the practice of always having God on the forefront of his mind.  My grandpa is amazing!  And amazing at being bold for Jesus!  He was a man we could all really respect.  He was a very, very hard worker also.  He worked well into his 70's doing his own home repair business.  I admired him a lot of sure! 

From my youth pastor, Leanne, I learned how to be a cool Christian.  Which I always thought was important, because if we aren't cool at all, why would the world want to have anything to do with us?  At a private Christian college I went to I felt most people weren't cool, which could have just been me being critical.  But I think it's important that Christians are at least somewhat cool, like the band Hillsong.  They are Christian and really cool.  If we aren't appealing to the world at all why would they want to be part of us?  If we come off as the most boring and lame people, why would anyone want to go to church? lol :)  So my youth pastor made being Christian seem really cool and I always admired that about her and wanted to be a cool Christian like her. :)  Trying to be upright and righteous but still fun at the same time. 

From my step dad I learned commitment.  He is the most committed person; he always does what he says.  He vowed to take care of my mom and he has done an exemplary job at that hands down!  He helped pay for my college even though I didn't become his step-daughter until I was 18. He bought me a laptop and helped with my car some and paid my car insurance for awhile.  He really took on the role of provider for our family very well.  And he was never inconsistent.  He was always, always consistent, in how he treated all of us with respect, and in going to church, in going to the gym and work early every day.  He was a very hard worker and very disciplined.  I always admired those things about him. :)  Go David!

And those have been my greatest leaders of my life.  They were all people that I really looked up to and wanted to be like.  Praise God for all the great leaders and great Christian influences I have had in my life.  I wouldn't be who I am today without all of them.  Thank you God so much for all of them!  Amen.  Now go start a blog maybe and write your own tribute to all your own great leaders. lol

God bless!

God bless!






















No comments:

Post a Comment