Monday, September 19, 2016

Persevere

This is from a devotional I wrote about 3 years ago :)

Phil. 2:12, “Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.”

What does this verse mean? Does it mean we need to be afraid of “losing our salvation?” Perhaps. There were the seed on the rocky soil and the seed among the thorns that didn’t make survive. There will be seeds, or people’s faith, that spring up for a time but don’t last. Does that mean that these people lost their salvation or that they were never saved to begin with? It’s hard to say for sure.

Paul says that you are to “work out your salvation.” This does not mean that we are saved by our deeds. We are saved by faith alone. But as James says, “Faith without deed is dead.” If we have faith, we WILL have deeds, as in we will love others. Our tangible love will show that we are saved. Jesus said, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, IF you love one another.” Amen. And Love is showed in action. Love is not a feeling only. Love is doing things for others. Love is doing good deeds for others. That is why “faith without deeds is dead.”


This is how we work out our own salvation. Paul says that we are to test ourselves and see if we are really in the faith. So many people THINK they are saved when they really are not. Jesus said many on that day will say “Lord, Lord” etc. and He will say that he NEVER knew them.

So we can’t just expect to float down a lazy river of faith. Faith is not being lazy and complacent. Our faith shows itself in what we do. Jesus said that we will know other Christians by their fruit. If you aren’t bearing any fruit, how do you know for sure that you are saved? We need to be bearing fruit and in so doing we work out our own salvation. Amen. May God help us to bear a lot of fruit and show love to others.

Reflection Questions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In what ways is my faith evident in what I do?
__________________________________________________________________

If other people were able to follow me around 24/7, would they be able to tell that I am a Christian?
__________________________________________________________________

What good things am I doing for others to show them love?

__________________________________________________________________
Am I ever lazy in my faith? How can I not be lazy in my faith?
__________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment