Monday, September 19, 2016

Reflecting on Verses

I was watching Francis Chan just now talk about the Holy Spirit and Pentecost.  I was thinking how back then there was a need for Christians to speak in many languages, because there were so many languages spoken in that region.  But now most of the world knows English, thanks to TV and movies.  So hopefully anything I write can be read by people all over the world.  There isn't as much of a need to speak many languages now.  That's how I see it at least. 

Here are some verses that are applicable to me right now that would be good for me to meditate on.  Sometimes I look up the 100 most important Bible verses or best verses to memorize etc.  And then if I feel led to think or write about some I do.  It's been awhile since I did that, so here are my current thoughts on some of God's thoughts to us. :)

Ephesians 2:8,9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

This is a very important one for me now.  It is hard to keep the balance of doing good deeds but not thinking that our works save us.  I know in my mind that I'm saved by grace but maybe my actions of working a lot and making lots of my Jesus packets show that sub consciously I think I'm saved by my works?  I don't know.  And perhaps that has led to boasting on my part which isn't good.  No matter what we do, it can never compare with what Jesus did for us.  So I need to always remind myself of that. 

Here is another very applicable verse for me now:

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart ,and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

I generally don't tend to think of God this way, maybe because my parents had such high expectations of me.  But I generally don't think of God as gentle and that his burden is light.  I feel like He expects a lot of me and for me to do a lot, which he does in a way, but then there are verses like this.  There is "To whom much is given much is required" but then there is "my burden is light."  Perhaps it is that when we are feeling lazy we need to hear that much is required of us, and when we feeling overwhelmed we need to remember that God is gentle and his yoke is easy.


Isaiah 40:30-31
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

And my last thought it about hope.  I think in this current roller coaster my husband and I have had,  over buying a house and where and having things not work out, it made me think about hope.  I think people tend to not want to hope or get their hopes up about things because then what if things don't work out?  And yes that is a reality of life, that things often don't work out, but that does not mean we should never be hopeful about anything.

When we hope we fly above Satan's attacks.  When we STAY in hope we are indestructible in a sense.  Even if one thing doesn't work out we can hope for another thing.  If we stay down we are zapped of our strength.  "The joy of the Lord is your strength."  And when you stay in hope you can "soar on wings like eagles."  You can rise above it all.  You can stay happy, even when things don't work out. 

What really is key is that our hope needs to be in God that he will make our dreams come true somehow.  "Delight yourself in the Lord and he shall give you the desires of your heart."  What we may think at one time is a desire of our heart may not be in the future.  It helps to have a broader perspective.  We may think we want something now but if we were to get it, we might realize we didn't want it. 

This is applicable to houses not working out for us, I love how Joel Osteen always says, "If you get stuck in a traffic jam maybe God is saving you from an accident down the road."  Like if you hadn't gotten stuck in traffic maybe you would have had an accident.  Maybe if Ben and I had bought any of the houses we were wanting we would have had a massive accident with them somehow.  Maybe a foundation would have been bad or something would have broken on the house, who knows.

Our goal now is to get a two bedroom apt. that has a great view of a river up by my mom.  I was thinking about a month ago, how often does a person get to live on a river.  They don't have any 3 bedrooms so that might be kind of hard, but being on a river will be pretty cool.  It's a one chance in a lifetime opportunity.  So instead of thinking of what didn't work out, I need to redirect my thoughts to the positive of what will work out.  And eventually we will buy the house.  We will just wait for our tax return so we have more money to work with, which will be better because then we can get everything we need for the house like a washer dryer etc. 

So in the end it probably will be better.  "Good things come to those who wait" is a popular phrase.  And hopefully that will be true for us. 

May God bless you all! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment