Saturday, December 19, 2015

On Depression and Forgiveness

I think the main thing that causes depression for people is feelings of guilt and condemnation. I think why I am generally happier than most people I know is because I know that I know I'm forgiven. If I ever feel depressed it's usually over how many people aren't saved yet because wide is the road that leads to destruction and that makes me sad. Or people can stay depressed due to anger over how others have hurt them. Forgiveness is the key to overcoming depression. Forgive... others and move on and forgive yourself and move on. Joyce made a great point that any guilt we feel is us trying to pay for our sins, trying to pay penance. But then we think we can save ourselves by works, the works of beating ourselves up, rather than faith. Catholic monks used to literally beat themselves with boards for their sins, but Jesus was whipped and beat for our sins already right? Yes. So stop or don't beat yourself up, God says. :) Jesus took the punishment for our sins so we don't need at all to punish ourselves for our own sins. "He who the son sets free is free indeed." And "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!" Amen! Believe it, fully. You are free, dear reader. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment