Monday, June 26, 2017

What is Church?



I just read the first chapter in the book "Finding Church." No book I've read has ever made me cry before lol, this one is great! All y'all should read it. 😉👍🏼 Wayne Jacobson talks about how church can be found more in a great conversation about God with others in a restaurant then in a church service, and AMEN to that! That's why I love being a waitress, because I get to see all the beautiful fellowship and bonding that takes places at the tables I serve. Jesus ate meals with his followers while he taught them. But now the commercialized way of doing church really does seem to be missing a lot of the Heart that church was intended to have.

The way Jacobson thinks and writes is exactly how I have thought about church my whole life. Church was meant to be more than just an obligation and a duty of going every Sunday morning or else...."Or else what?" Is my question. There is not one Bible verse that says anyone has to attend a service every week. That is us being Pharisees and adding to Scripture. There is only a verse that says "do not forsake meeting together." If you go to a few small group Bible studies a year, you are doing that. I have always greatly preferred to go to small group women's Bible studies over a church service. For one, I already know everything the pastor might preach about, and two, church was meant to be about building relationships, not just listening to someone trying to push their bias theology onto you. And a lot of sermons are that, pastors trying to get their people to think the way that they, the pastor, thinks. How about we all just think how God thinks, amen? How about we all just read the Bible for ourselves, rather than pastors trying to convince us what every verse says and means?

But church services really are lacking. If you go to a service I highly recommend you go to a small group Bible study instead. And if you don't go to church, try looking up small groups at churches by you on their internet pages. You will gain 100 times more from a small group Bible study then any church service you go to, most likely. If small groups also always had worship then they would be the perfect Jesus like gathering that God would love us to have. Amen :)

Feel free to comment your thoughts on small groups vs. church services. :)

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment