Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Counseling Might Save Your Life!



Now that I have done plenty of bashing on prescription meds I would like to talk about the alternative. You can't tell people to not do something and not say what could be done instead. Some might be thinking "Great! Don't take prescription meds. Then what's the solution?" Counseling, counseling is the solution. Yes I know people can have severe mental issues. Many people have PTSD due to some trauma or abuse that happened to them in their lives, which creates a lot of anxiety and mistrust of people, which makes it hard to have friends and function in life. The best cure for that though is not meds, but rather talking in depth, with someone who genuinely cares, about the trauma. If you have a close friend you can share everything and anything with, then talk to them. If you don't, then there are a lot of good Christian counselors out there who can help you and would love to. :) They do that profession because they really want to help people. I went to an older lady counselor for awhile who also was sexually abused by her father like me, and she helped me a ton. It helps to talk to someone who has been through the same trauma as you have. If you call a large counseling center they usually will ask what specific issue you struggle with or what happened to you in general, and then they will pair you with someone who specializes in that, possibly because it happened to them too.

And now I'll share a story that many of you might be able to relate to.  I have found that almost 100% of the population has been sexually abused at some point in their lives.  So here is Roger's story.  I was engaged to a guy, Roger, who had the most horrific thing happen to him in high school. A group of guys pinned him the lockers while a girl literally stuck her hand down his pants and played with his....yeah. There was even literally a crowd of people around and they all shouted "fag!" "homo!" because he wasn't enjoying it. But obviously who would under such circumstances? No one on the planet. I don't know why things like this happen except those people must have been possessed. This event happened several times, sadly, until, thank God, his dad pulled him from that godless and horrible public school and put him in a private Christian school. Not that all public schools are nuts, but that one obviously was. It was in Omaha, NE of all places; Nebraska is thought to be very conservative and godly but not that high school obviously. I was always so confused as to where on earth the teachers were when these things happened. He said he tried to go in a teacher's class room once but the teacher told him to get the F out. What a crazy school huh? Needless to say that lit a fire under me to want to teach more so wherever I teach can at least have one good teacher. :) Anyways he struggled with a lot of PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder, as a result. He was on meds but only went to counseling a little. He said his counselor had said he had the worst case of PTSD he had ever seen. We talked a lot about things he had been through, and there were many other abuses done by many other people, and I think that helped him to heal a lot. He was also sexually abused by a doctor as a little boy, when his mom stupidly left him alone in a room with the doctor, (please never do that, parents out there) and a group of co-worker sexually abused him after putting a drug in his drink at a party. It's so incredibly sad how sick our world is that's for sure. :( He died about 5 years ago, due to being on too medications and drinking one night. That is also a huge reason why I am anti-medication. It was very sad and I cried a lot, but I was also happy for him to not have to be tortured anymore by all those memories. He could finally be at peace in heaven, which I know is where he is because I baptized him. lol :) Funny but true. :)

And then there is my story, which I will say briefly. I was sexually abused by my dad. I have never been on meds, because I saw how much they messed up my mom, but I have gone to possibly 1,000 hours of counseling in my life. That might be why I find writing so easy now because the session consisted of me talking about my current and past life for an hour. Sometimes my counselor would ask me questions, but most of the time she would just give me lots of open space to talk and cry. That was something I only did in counseling, crying, because I hate, hate crying around other people. :) I don't like to appear weak in any way for the most part, probably because of being abused. One of my best counselors was an older gentleman who would lean in when I talked, which I thought was cool because it showed he was really interested in what I was saying. He was the main counselor that I felt really cared. He was a very good Christian older man.

So all that to say, counseling is a very, extremely good thing to do. I know people can have a lot of pain and may have been through some crazy things in life, but BEFORE turning to meds, PLEASE try counseling. It can be expensive, but it's very much worth it! If you or someone you know has a mind plagued by anxiety or depression, tell them to go to counseling before they try prescription meds. Or be willing to dive into the darkest parts of their past with them and talk about things a lot. Reassure them that you love them no matter what happened to them and that if they were abused, IT WAS NOT THEIR FAULT. :) And if any of you want to message me on Facebook; I am listed as Lisa Bedrick in Austin, TX, I can try to help you. I won't tell anyone what you write me and I will try to give you the best advice I can, if you want advice. Or just telling someone your story helps, just typing it out. So feel free to message me. Don't worry, you can trust me. ;) And I will understand your pain.

Thank you and may God bless you all! "Now to Him who is able to do infinitely more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, 21to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Amen! God bless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment