Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Food and Gluttony


I felt like the next topic God wanted me to write about is food and sugar intake. Someone commented that smoking is about the same as eating lots of sugar and yes, that is a good point. Both are probably equally harmful to the body. Smoking can lead to lung cancer and excessive sugar intake can lead to diabetes. I am guilty of having too much sugar to an extent. I have almost always drank coffee every day and I love to put fun creamers in it. But I need to cut back on that. And I have always had a lack of protein in my diet. I mostly eat fruit and carbs, so that is a lot of sugar. I actually showed in a blood test recently as being pre-diabetic, so now I eat tuna with triscuts a lot and guac. with corn chips, not tortilla chips because those are pretty much just sugar. 

So what does the Bible say about our diets and how we eat?

Here is the most interesting verse about eating. "Many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and their glory is in their shame. Their minds are set on earthly things." Phil. 3:19

What does it mean for one's god to be their belly? It means to eat whatever we want, whenever we want. To give into every craving with no self-control at all. But Paul calls such behavior as belonging to those who are enemies of the cross of Christ. So that is interesting.

1 Corinthians 9:27 "But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

This verse is a big challenge to those who believe in "once saved, always saved." I believe salvation can be lost, because of verses like this that can't be ignored, I think. But isn't that interesting that Paul thought that if he didn't keep his body under control that he would be disqualified to go to heaven? No we aren't saved by our works, but we show we are saved by what we do. If we are a tree bearing bad fruit then we are not saved, according to Jesus. If our lives consist of gluttony and an over-indulgence in unhealthy foods, we might not be saved. But you can pray about it and ask God to give you wisdom and insight on that. :)

1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything."

If we can't say no to certain kinds of foods, then we are enslaved by them. A great way to break free of the control of food is to try fasting. Fasting is not just an Old Testament thing. Jesus said "when you fast," meaning he expected us to still do it. It is a great way to make your body your servant rather then your master. Your stomach should not master you, you should master your stomach.  You can also try fasting from whatever food you think does have mastery over you for a week.

Proverbs 23:21 "For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags."

Why will they fall into poverty? Well because if someone spends all their money on food or alcohol they will eventually go broke. We are only meant to consume a certain amount of food each day. Any amount over that is selfish and unwise. It will eventually ruin our health and our bank account. We should eat the minimum amount of food required to function in life and that's it.

I actually have never been a big fan of eating actual meals. I eat very small amounts of food throughout the day. I don't ever really eat a breakfast, lunch or dinner, except maybe cereal for breakfast. I only eat when I'm hungry, and I only  then eat until I am not hungry anymore. I never go beyond that point. My mom always told me "just eat until you are satisfied." And that is a key thing to remember. :)

And that's all I have to say 'bout that. :) lol.

May God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment