Monday, February 25, 2013

Tattoos: Bad or Ok?

Lev. 19:28 says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

Granted, the law does not matter quite as much in light of Jesus, because He said all things hinge on the two commandments, to love God and love others.   Jesus simplified it.  Jesus fulfilled the law but He did not eradicate it.  The law is still in our Bibles today for a reason.  God still wants us to know it and try to live by it.  David said, "Oh how I love your law!  I meditate on it day and night!"

And Paul said, "ALL things are permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything." 

So we can do anything we want under Jesus essentially, just not be mastered by anything or make anything an idol. 

So in that context, as long as a tattoo is not an idol, it could be seen as ok. 

I think cross tattoos are really cool personally and would love to get one if I was not so terrified of needles etc lol   I have had bad experiences with IV's and getting my blood drawn. lol   So I strongly dislike needles. :)

Therefore I am mainly anti-tattoos because, why torture yourself? 

 But to each his own right?

Check out this video that a friend posted in a comment on my facebook  ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN3voADV14Y


Interesting video huh.  Here are my thoughts on it.....

Yes love is to be primary of course in all things.  I wholeheartedly agree with that. 

Of course as Christians we are to love those with tattoos, but the question is, should Christians get tattoos? 

Yes I noted when reading Lev. 19 the not eating meat with blood in it and the not wearing clothes with two kinds of fabric.  So no rare steak and 100% cotton clothes which are better anyways. :) 

This guy's argument about not eating meat is not logical.  The scripture just means don't eat rare or medium rare meat, not you can't meat any meat. 

And yes earrings are in the same category with tattoos, as they both involve hurting your body. 

The same applies today to what he said in history that tattoos give off the wrong signal.  Tattoos still give off the wrong signal to others, as they are mainly gang related and usually of worldly things etc. 

 If you go into most tattoo parlors they have pictures all over the walls of mostly naked women or skulls etc.  This is a not a place where a Christian belongs under any circumstances.   

 Also, how I see it in my spirit is that tattoos are scribbling on the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Tattoos are grafitti on God's temple, being us, human beings.  No one likes to see grafitti in their home town, nor does a wife want to see grafitti on her husband. 

Tattoos defile the beauty of the human body as it was made.  They taint it's natural beauty.  They mess up the masterpiece that God created when He made each of us. 

His last argument is good that Jesus may have had a tattoo in Rev 19.  I like that one; it is a valid point. 

Overall I would say follow the guideline that "Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit."  Therefore, anything that would hurt one's own body should be avoided if at all possible.  Yes this even would include fast food which I am guilty of indulging it at times. 

We cannot be perfect, but we can strive to be the best we can be. 

As Paul says, "Walk in a manner worthy of your calling."  As in you are now sanctified in Jesus; live like it.  Live out what is already true of you.  You are God's child; reflect the Father as best as you can.  This is what God calls us to do. 

Yes. :)  Grace and peace be with you all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment