Sunday, January 3, 2016

Why Fasting is Important


A speaker on TBN was talking about everyone going on a 21 day fast. That seems a bit crazy to me lol. Yes Jesus fasted 40 days but he was Jesus. But I can handle at least one day of fasting. :) So until 3pm tomorrow I will fast and only drink water. Feel free to join me if you want.

One time the disciples couldn't cast a spirit out and Jesus told them it would only come out with fasting and prayer, so sometimes fasting is needed to accomplish greater things.

If you decide to fast also, have something you are asking God for if/when you fast. Fasting makes your prayers more effective, because it humbles and purifies you and "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." Amen!

Fasting is also a huge act of surrender. It's saying to God "my only true need is you, not food.  You can satisfy me more than food can. You are my God and you are who I worship, not food. You are what I want to think about most, not food. You are my sustainer and the provider of my strength, not just food." Amen.

Also the word itself is ironic; maybe it can cause God to act faster on behalf of your prayers. He still may not grant our requests, but the odds are higher that he will I think when we fast. Consider fasting for a bit. When you are weak then you are strong, because you stop leaning on yourself and you start to lean on God. Amen! May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment