Saturday, December 2, 2023

Poet

 I have always aspired to be a poet. I remember in grade school I was drawn to Robert Frost poems. In high school my English teacher got me to totally love Gerard Manly Hopkins' poems. God's Grandeur is great and Spring and Fall. I remember thinking that maybe someday I could write poetry like his poems. I'm sure he spent hours on each poem he wrote, thinking of as many brilliant words as he could. Every word took special planning for him I bet. Or maybe he just wrote words down easily like I do when I write. I think the more you write poetry, the easier it becomes. I am now thinking in rhyme. I keep coming up with rhymes in my head. 

Growing up I played Scrabble with my mom a lot. I love words. I was an English major, because I love writing. I tried writing poetry when I was in a poetry class. That was my first time writing poems. I mainly liked to write poems about nature, like Hopkins. I wrote some poems about the death of my ex when I first started this blog 10 years ago. And now this is my third time writing poems. I remember my poetry professor said, "No one really writes poems anymore." I said, "What about song lyrics? Those are like poems." I wrote songs at various times in my life. I even sang one in front of my church when I was about 14. 

Here is a sample of a song I might write, which also is like a poem....


Every day I want to make my mark

How can I leave the world a better place? 

I want to share my thoughts with everyone


God show me how to reach the lost

Show me how to say things that matter

I want to be a light for you

God show me how


If you play piano or guitar, feel free to make that into a song. I have been thinking if I could find an illustrator, any of my poems could be a children's book. I could paint illustrations in my own book in theory. 

I have been hearing God say lately I need to write more. I hope you all enjoy what I have been writing. If you like writing, try the app called Canva. It's mainly for advertising but it can be used to share poems or quotes from your writing. It's lots of fun to work with. Check it out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment