Saturday, October 19, 2013

Wisdom and Advice

Just called my grandma for the first time in like 3 years. I know I'm horrible. Especially considering she was the main reason I got serious about God when I was 14. 
 
But here was the best advice she gave about my future daughter. To make sure I tell her everyday that I love her, that she's special and that if she ever does something bad to tell her, "You know you wouldn't have done that if you knew how special you are." 
 
She is pretty smart when it comes to child psychology and how people work in general. 
 
It is true and I have seen this too from working with kids for 14 years; kids will be whatever you believe them to be. At one pre-school I would always tell the little 2 or 3 year olds I worked with, "You know you're an angel right?" And they'd be like, "Noooo....." with a smile. It was cute.  
 
But yes, try that with your own kids.   Speak LIFE into them, not death.   Encourage them rather then discourage them.   Focus on the positive.   Tell them they are an angel, AND THEY WILL ACT LIKE IT.   I'm serious.   It works.  I've seen it work, with myself when my grandma pounded that into me when I was 14 lol, and with kids I've worked with. :)
 
The same is true for anyone, people become what we believe them to be or how we treat them. 
 
If you want someone to be nice to you, be nice to them, it's as simple as that.   We reap what we sow.
 
  Yay for my grandma! It was so nice to talk to her. :)
 
She also said I really need to start swimming every day and that that will make my delivery easier. So yes, I need to do that. She is 83 and still swims every day, can you imagine? lol  She tells people at her gym, "I'm 83 going on 28 thank you." lol She's so funny.

Other advice from her. We need to know how to lean on Jesus.   That is the problem for most people, they do not know how to lean on and depend on Jesus.   I like the saying, "Bend the knee or have it broken."  Because either we will depend on Jesus on our own, or He will make us.   It's true. 
 
She suggested that my husband and I get a lease on an oil well, especially Exxon. She said we need to invest in Exxon.   Because if this country goes totally down the hole, as it seems to be, oil will always be worth something. 
 
She was also elated that I had picked the name Serenity for my daughter.  She said, "That is a BEAUTIFUL name." lol I know.  And my grandpa said, "That is perfect, because that is what her life will be like.  But you and Ben are the key to that."  And yes I know and yes hopefully her life will be totally serene, that is the goal anyways lol. 
 

Other cool things from my grandma. She told me another angel story!  woohoo! lol :) 
 
When she was 3 months pregnant an angel appeared to her in her room when she was home alone and told her that she would have a boy.   She had prayed all her life that she would have a boy, because she wanted a boy to take care of her in her old age. lol   But I'm thinking a girl would be better at that. 
 
I on the other hand have always wanted a daughter. I never actually prayed about it per se but I always knew having a daughter would be the most wonderful experience ever, cause I was a great daughter lol.   
 
She said girls can be better though because you can confide in them more.   Of course! lol   She also reminded me, in regards to me now living in Texas, :) that God sometimes has strange and amazing plans for our lives that we may not understand but that they are always good. Amen!

I asked her about miracles she's seen.   She said she sees miracles every day.   I was like, "Yes I know but I mean big ones." lol  
 
But the other day she lost her keys and found them and she considered that a miracle.    
 
Just her life is a miracle really.   She was rapped by her dad when she was 18 and that that didn't make her go completely psychotic is amazing. 
 
And that she became an amazing woman of God still and raised four great kids who all love the Lord is amazing too. 
 
She has truly been a huge inspiration to me my whole life!   She is the most inspiring person I have ever met and I hope I can be to my daughter like she has always been to me. :)  With God's help I can. 
 
I have never admired someone's faith in God more.   I have never admired how much wisdom someone has more, than my own grandma.   Awe....lol And that is my tribute to her. 
 

Other advice, she said in regards to buying a house to find one that's in foreclosure and then you can just take over the payments and not worry about a down payment.   I had no idea that was even possible. So cool!   So maybe in a year we will do something like that.   God will provide.  
 
She said I need to get a card for my mom for her birthday lol I'm horrible about getting cards for people but they are nice so she's right.  
 
And I asked her about praying in tongues, she never has.  I thought maybe she had because she is so "anointed" as spirit filled people like to call it. lol  But no, she's just a normal person who hasn't seen or done anything all that amazing necessarily.  But she is still completely and totally amazing. :)  Because she has been faithful to God and served him with all that she is, 110% her WHOLE life.  Praise God for her! :)
 
Her and my grandpa have taken tons of things down to orphanages in Mexico for the last 60 years of their marriage; clothes, furniture, toys, tons of stuff.  He was a pastor of music or choir director his whole career life.  She had a bread ministry for the longest time in Upland, CA which is by L.A. where she would get tons of day old bread and pass it out to the homeless or whoever needed it.  She's always telling everyone she meets that they are her angel.  Like if someone randomly helps her move something etc. 
 
She never stops, she's always doing something, which I always admired what a hard worker she is. :)  She has given her testimony several times and she loves to sing in front of people and entertain them.  She did a Minnie Pearl impersonation many times.  She was a drama and speech High School teacher for 2 years before she had kids.  I guess that was because they just didn't get pregnant yet so I guess it took them awhile.  That never occurred to me before really.  It only took Ben and I a month lol.  But God knows when the timing is best on those things for each person. :) 
 
I think she has worked with the youth at all the various churches they were involved in.  She is great with young people!  I know she was with me in my teen years and inspired me to stay on the narrow path a lot. 
 
They have moved something like 20 times to different states over the years so she has touched A LOT of lives.  I'm sure when she gets to heaven she will have like 1,000 people applauding her when she walks through the gates.  I'm sure 1,000 people will be there because of her and her little touches on their life.  Something as simple as telling someone they are your angel for the day can save them.  You just never know. 
 
She currently works with and encourages men in a men's home from one of her churches.  They let some men live in one of their 5 houses for long time.  Yes they have 5 houses, pretty crazy I know.  And in California which is amazing.  She is amazing. :)  God IN her is amazing. :)  Amen.
 
It was nice to catch up with her. Hopefully Ben and I can drive out there in a couple weeks and she can finally meet him. Amen! God is good and praise God for giving me such an amazing and wonderful woman of God for a grandma. woot!

Another interesting thing, she said whether other people are saved or not is really none of our business, that is between them and God.   For some reason I never saw it that way but that is wise. 
 
  I hope you have benefitted from hearing my grandma's wisdom as well.   She's the only one I have left so I really need to call her more lol.  God bless!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment