Sunday, June 9, 2013

Generational Curses?

Do generational curses still exist?  Are they real?  What happens if our parents have sinned?  Is it passed down to us?

Here is an account of an amazing family of God:

Joel Houston is the main song writer of Hillsong's worship music.  At least he has written all the best songs, in my opinion.  One of his first songs written was Everyday, which was a huge hit.  He also wrote From the Inside Out, With Everything, Aftermath, Hosanna, Lead Me to the Cross, The Stand, Take It All, Freedom is Here, etc.

He wrote, or co-wrote, all the songs that were performed at the live in Miami concert.  I've probably watched that on youtube about 20 times or so, over and over.  I was blown away by their heart for God and the genius of their music.

I didn't realize this until recently, but Joel Houston is the oldest son of Brian Houston, who is currently the head pastor at Hillsong Church.  So that makes sense then how he comes up with such amazing lyrics for these songs, he had/has an amazing father!  He was raised and trained well in the gospel and in having a passion for Jesus!

If you have ever seen Brian Houston preach on a youtube video you can tell he is on FIRE for God!

The ironic thing about this story though is that Brian Houston's dad and Joel's grandpa admitted to molesting a child several years ago and so had to step down from leadership at Hillsong Church.  That came as a shock to me.  I didn't hear that until I was physically out in Australia to check out their church. 

At first I was disoriented that if the father did that, how is the son now running the church?  I thought of the verse about generational curses, "Up to the 6th and 7th generations...."

But praise God generational curses can be broken!  Through the power of Jesus and the Holy Spirit!

It gives me hope somewhat about my family history and my dad. 

Just because my dad was and still is a child molester doesn't mean I have to be cursed or have it affect my life at all.  That was him, not me.  He is that way; I will never be.  We are two different people.

Just because our parents may have committed some crazy sins, we do not have to have guilt or shame over their sin.  They are a separate person from us.  We did not sin even though they did. 

I know in some cultures, such as Asian culture, family is everything.  If one member of a family does something it brings shame to everyone and taints the character and name of everyone in the family.

But in Christ we are individuals.  He sees each of us separately from the family we came from. 

What did Jesus says about who his family was?  He said, "My mother and brothers are whoever does the will of my Father."  The same is true for us.

And look at how Jesus' family was behaving at the moment.  They were calling him crazy for preaching etc.  So if Jesus didn't have the perfect family, it is ok for us not to also. :)  Amen!

In regards to my dad, I have not considered him to be my dad for quite a long time.  I always reasoned that he gave up his right to be my dad when he molested me. 

If someone is a dad they have to act like it.  Dads are supposed to protect.  He did not.  Therefore, he was/is no longer was my dad. 

There are many cases of people who come from atheist or reprobate families in some way.  But once they become a new creation in Christ, that is not their family anymore.  Their church, or those who are fellow Christians, is/are their family. 

We are still supposed to honor our biological father and mother in that we don't wish badly of them or slander them or curse at them etc.  But honor is different than identifying with them.  Honor is different than being best friends with them and saying we are a part of them.

So if your biological family is nothing like you, don't worry about it. :) Your true family is whoever belongs to the body of Christ.  Embrace that fact and you will have peace. :)

May God be with you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment