Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Amy Grant

I just watched the Bio of Amy Grant on Youtube. 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6oQ8dnVMhE

I always wondered about her life story.  I grew up listening to her tape all the time.  Baby, baby, Every Heartbeat etc.  That was the first tape really that I ever got.  I remember on my 9th birthday I got her tape of Heart in Motion.

I remember when she got divorced.  I was so sad about it.  I was thinking, "But she wrote all those great love songs for her husband.  How did that happen?  How did they fall out of love when she loved him so much?"

What's even more sad is there was no biblical cause for her to divorce her first husband.  He didn't cheat on her.  The bio doesn't discuss what his personal faith in Christ was like though.  I suppose it's possible he walked away from God, or was he ever saved to begin with?  Who knows. 

She started out just doing Christian music and then crossed over to the pop world.  Maybe her first marriage kind of caused her to walk away from God somewhat. 

Then she divorced and married Vince Gill and came out with a hymns album.  So maybe Vince brought her back to God.  I wonder why for most of her first marriage she only wrote pop songs. 

Maybe she idolized her first husband, hence all the love songs.  Maybe she put him in God's place for a time, which is why she became so miserable before her divorce.  She was depending on him to be everything when only God should be everything to us. :(

What went wrong?  Why the divorce?

It's a very sad story for sure.  The other interesting thing is that she was doing concerts with Vince Gill while in her first marriage.  That is a bit scandalous I think.  I think she probably became too emotionally attached to Vince Gill as a married woman and that caused issues as well. 

I'm pretty firm in my beliefs that married couples should not have friends of the opposite sex, at least not close ones.  That may have been the mistake that Amy Grant made.  She let herself get to close to Vince Gill which wrecked her first marriage.  Very sad. :(

I really admired her when I was younger. 

My other pop idol in a way that I wanted to be like was Mariah Carey.  Both women had and have amazing voices.  Both sang about love and their songs were fun and upbeat.  Of course Mariah Carey's life has been all over the place.  So the lyrics from these two were my major influences in grade school and junior high. 

In some ways I wish my mom would have not let me listen to their music so much.  Parents don't realize how even little harmless love songs can influence a little girl.  Girls don't need to be thinking about relationships at all that young.  I was way to interested in having a boyfriend way too young, and I think it was this music that caused that. 

I think I will be more strict with my daughter Serenity lol.  Possibly Amish in regards to media who knows. :) 

But yes, parents be careful what your kids are exposed to.  Even Disney movies might make little girls a little too boy crazy and interested in love before they should be. 

May God give us all wisdom in regards to parenting and what is ok for our kids and what's not.  Amen. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment