Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Personal Inventory

I realized the series of questions I thought of to tell if someone is a false teacher or not would be good to ask of ourselves as well. 

One of the steps in the 12 step Celebrate Recovery process is to take a personal inventory.  This is my favorite step ironically enough lol.  I have never been addicted to a substance, but I think it is beneficial for everyone to constantly work and think about the 12 steps to hold themselves accountable regarding just sin in general. :)

David says, "Search me and know me God."  We are to do the same thing.  We are to ask God to search us and to show us things about ourselves that we don't normally look at.  Why?  So we can "walk in a manner worthy of our calling" more and more.  Amen. :)

Questions for self reflection and a personal inventory:

Do you really love people? 

No one can say that they perfectly love people.  Only God can love perfectly.  I would say I generally love people. :)  I try my best to do so.  :)

Are you peaceful? 

For the most part.  Sometimes I argue back when argued with. :)  But generally I try to stay at peace with everyone. 

Do you have genuine joy in the Lord? 

Yes I think so. :)

Are you patient with others, themselves and God or do you command things happen right now? 

Patience is something I need to work on. :)  With God I have learned more and more to be patient with Him. :)

Are you content with what you have or do you seem to love money?  

haha I go back and forth on this one.  I like to buy needless things sometimes just for fun.  But for the most part I am content with little.  There is a 100 thing challenge.  See if you can live with only 100 things for a month.  For the most part I do so that is good. :)
 
 Are you faithful or are you all over the place and flakey?

When it comes to work I have not been as faithful in jobs as I would have wanted to be.  In friendships and family though I have been faithful. :)

 Do you have self-control or do you seem to have no self-control?

For the most part I have self control.  Working a lot with kids helped with this for sure.  I am generally slow to anger.  I don't think I have ever over eaten really so that is self-control.  But there are things I am not self-controlled in. 

Do you encourage self-control in others?

Yes. :)

Are your teaching methods gentle or forceful and chaotic?

I suppose I could apply this to my writing.  I hope it is gentle.  I thought of a great self quote this morning. :)  "If any other Christian is trying to control you in the name of Jesus they may be a false teacher, or at least they are walking in the flesh and not in the spirit. The flesh seeks to control others, but the Spirit gives freedom."  I hope that I give people freedom.  People can take my advice or leave it, it's up to them really.  I just write what I feel God wants me to. :)  But I am not seeking to control anyone through what I write.

Are you kind or rude to others?

For the most part I think I am kind. 

Are you boastful or humble?

I used to have a problem with pride and thinking I was something regarding my abilities but I think over the years I have become more humble.  I don't care as much about my accomplishments or what I have done.  I just care about bringing glory to God now for the most part. :)  Amen. :)
 
 Do you envy others like the spiritual gifts of others or are you content?

For the most part I don't envy others.  I like my car and don't envy other people's cars.  I like everything I have already and don't wish I had things other people had for the most part. :)  I am content.  I like the spiritual gift I have of writing and teaching and don't really care if I get other ones.  I am glad God has blessed me as much as he already has.  Amen. :)

Are you proud or are you meek?

I have become more meek and less proud over the years thanks to God breaking me in various ways and through various trials lol.  But that has been a good thing. :)

Are you poor in spirit or are you full of yourself?

For the most part I am not full of myself I would say. 

Do you like to be seen by men or do you do good in secret so that only their Father in heaven sees them?

I don't announce when I tithe or do good things for the most part. 

Do you parade yourself about in front of others or are you content to minister privately?

I have always been fine with doing more discreet jobs at church like setting up chairs etc.  I don't have to be on stage.  Well and I get stage fright and public speaking fears so I actually prefer to just set up chairs lol. :) 

Do you seek your own glory and praise or point every single you do to God and tell people to praise God?

I have gotten better at this :)  At recognizing that all my gifts come from God so I can't get prideful about any of them.  I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for God. :)

Are you angry easily or slow to anger?

It depends on the situation lol.  But usually I am slow to anger.  I try to understand where people are coming from before I get angry at them. :)  Working in customer service most of my life helped with this.  You have to seek to understand people then. 

Do you have endurance in their faith or do you give up easily?

I would say I have incredible endurance in the faith.  When someone close to me died a year ago it did not hinder my relationship with God but only made it grow.  Most may have walked away from God in that time, but I hung on close to God. :)  Amen. :)

So this is our fruit.  This is how we prove we are saved.  It would be good for you too to do a personal inventory of your fruit. lol.  See where you are in your walk with God.  Where do you need to improve.  :)  And be honest with yourself.  It can be fun. 
 
 This is what Jesus means when he says, "You will recognize them by their fruit."

God bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment