Monday, December 16, 2013

Suffering

Why does God allow bad things to happen to us? 

For our maturity and growth in patience and endurance as James 1 says.  Scripture says that God prunes the branches that bear fruit so that they will bear more fruit.  The process of pruning might involve us suffering or going through hardships etc.  This is for our own good, so that we will become more mature.  
 
The most mature and wise people are those who have had the crap kicked out of them by life. :)  You know who you are. lol :)  I know and have seen this because those closest to me are the most mature people I have ever known, and they have had to go through a LOT in their lives. 
 
It is like a veteran of war who has seen a lot and experienced a lot.  There are some walking around who just have more gold stars than others, they deserve more honor, because they have had to endure and survive so much.  But they have not just survived, they thrive.  I love the quote, "Respect is not given, it is earned."  When people have had to persevere through hard times and trials, they deserve a lot more respect.  They have earned more respect from others. 

My mom is one of those people.  My brother is.  My best friend is.  And my husband is.  I highly respect anyone who has had to endure really hard times and endured, meaning they didn't kill themselves.  They were strong.  They didn't go crazy when they could have, or when anyone else might have.  They still have hope for the future.  They press on and go on with life, despite the pain of the past. 

That reminds me of a great poem by Langston Hughes called "Mother to Son." :)

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.       
 
Amen!  Don't give up!  Keep climbing. :)  You can do it. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment