Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Getting Slain

2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 

The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.


Part of the story of how Lonnie got Calvary Chapel to grow in membership and then the Vineyard denomination was great moves of the Holy Spirit. It could have been a random spirit though and not the Holy Spirit. His friend said in a few meetings Lonnie would say, "Holy Spirit come" and 300 people would get slain in the spirit, meaning they would all fall on the ground. I have always seen this as black and white, that acts like that are always demonic. Why? Because of the verse that says, "God is a God of order, not disorder." These demonstrations are actually what caused Chuck Smith to abandon Lonnie for a long time. They had a church split over that, or a leadership split. Chuck probably felt like I always have, that people falling in the Spirit can't be of God since it's never talked about in the Bible. People fall on their faces willingly in the Bible, but they don't fall down as if they lost control of their own body. That is demonic possession. The only time a person loses control over their body is when an evil spirit possesses them. 

I was realizing yesterday, that is almost exactly what happened in my divorce. I abandoned my ex-husband basically for the same reason. He wouldn't let his obsession with that go, getting slain in the "spirit." He always wanted to go to churches where he might fall over in the spirit. I wanted him to avoid all that, but it seemed like he couldn't. It was like an addiction, a religious addiction. 

Ever since I saw a video of Benny Hinn causing people to fall over randomly, I have been very opposed to all that. I am ok with the gift of tongues, because the Bible talks about it. I have never felt ok in my spirit with people falling down in church services. I don't think God intended for that to ever happen in church. 

Overall, I agree with Chuck Smith on that. I think it is sorcery and witchcraft to make people fall over in the "spirit." What spirit is making them do that? How can anyone say that is the Holy Spirit? 

Of course, it could just be that I don't understand what I have never experienced. I have never felt like falling down in church. I have never felt overwhelmed by a feeling in my life really. I am just a very not emotional person. I have always been very logical and practical. I don't let myself get swept away due to anything. 

I was remembering something I heard from a friend on Facebook. A guy said there was a revival meeting at his church where a lot of people fell over in the spirt. After that a lot of the men exhibited gay tendencies. That made me think of how Lonnie was basically a closet homosexual. Was that why? Is there a connection there? Maybe he was so into this other manifestation that was bringing in gay evil spirits, but he didn't realize it. 

This is why the Bible says to "test the spirits." It is great when former drug addicts get involved in church. It is nice to see their lives transformed. The issue is they have a difficult time letting that high feeling go. Anyone who used to smoke pot a lot or do any drug always seems to feel pulled back into that. They can't stay away for long. They can then transfer that wish to be high onto the "Holy Spirit." They fake manifest this feeling but with evil spirit instead of pot. They don't know what they are doing. It just happens, because they can't let that drug high feeling go. 

The Bible never tells us to get high in the Spirit. It commands us to be sober. Here are some great verses on that topic: 

1 Peter 5:8 

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

1 Peter 4:7 

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.

1 Thessalonians 5:6 

So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober.

1 Timothy 3:2 

Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Ephesians 5:18 

Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

1 Peter 1:13 

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Titus 2:2 

Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness.

Proverbs 20:1 

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

2 Timothy 4:5 

As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Galatians 5:21 

Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.


Stay sober. Don't get high, in any way. Do God's work and keep your mind alert always. 







No comments:

Post a Comment