Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sibling Rivalry

I just saw a great movie. It's called Straight A's. It is about two brothers fighting over one girl. Ah typical love triangle movie. They are always interesting. The title Straight A's drew me in because that was my goal my entire life. My dad told me once getting A's is like gathering gold nuggets. The more you can get, the better it is. That was a good analogy. Most of my grades were A's, except college Spanish. I didn't do as well in those classes. 

I always did extremely well in school. My brother always did pretty badly. I blame it on the Ritalin my mom had him take. I don't think it made him smarter. I think it only made life worse for him. 

Anytime someone has siblings, there will be competition. Some say it is hardest to be raised as an only child. I don't know if that is true. I think one or more siblings can really make your life more difficult. They might influence you to get into trouble. They might molest you. They might steal all the attention of your parents so you seem invisible most of the time. I always felt like I didn't exist because my big brother got all the attention. I knew how to blend in well and be quiet. He knew how to get as much attention as he wanted. 

With my two daughters, I could tell the youngest would be like me. She was very compliant and sweet. The sweet kid often gets ignored. I gave her as much attention as I could. I probably seemed to favor her, but I didn't want her to get ignored on account of her big sister, who was very loud and very talented. Serenity was a wonderful singer and dancer. She was naturally super athletic, like her mom. Joy was really good at coloring, and she seemed like she was a born genius. At least they both were born with good skills. 

Hopefully they will both get plenty of praise and adoration their whole lives, so they won't ever get jealous of each other. May God keep their love cup full so they will turn out ok. I keep praying they will marry whoever their first boyfriend is. I wish I would have married my first boyfriend. I think my life would have gone a whole lot better. I hope they both find a great boyfriend when they are ready, who will provide for them and treat them like queens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment