Thursday, October 1, 2015

Questions on Women Teaching

My whole life really I have been plagued by this issue of if women can teach or not in church.

I have always wondered, if women can't really be leaders, then why did God create me as a leader?

Not that I have always been a leader in every situation.  Most of the times in my life I was actually quite mousy and insecure actually.  When it came to my high school basketball team I always felt less than and inferior.  In class discussion I very, very rarely spoke up, even though I always had something insightful that I could have said.  But I generally remained quiet in all my classes. 

I was the kid that the teacher knew had the right answer and so they would pick on me, but I always hated being asked to speak up.  I always preferred to remain anonymous and not be in the spot light actually.

I think all that was partly because I was sexually abused.  Abused victims seem to loose their voice.  There is something about abuse that makes us think we don't have anything worthy to say or share, and so we remain silent.

So needless to say, looking more into these verses by Paul is a bit discouraging to me regarding women teaching.  So I thought I would write out a series of questions I am wrestling with regarding this topic.

Here it goes:

If Paul says that there is now neither male nor female, why then does he say that a woman cannot teach a man? 

Do the verses in 1 Tim. 2 apply only to a specific woman that was acting overly dominant?  But then why does he seem to make it a universal statement by saying Eve was the one deceived, which seems to mean that women are inferior in our ability to resist Satan and so that is why we cannot teach men.

  He mentions in other verses that women are to remain silent in church "as the law says."  So was it just a cultural thing back then and it doesn't apply now?

Why are overseers said that they are to the husband of one wife?  That would seem to mean overseers can only be men.  Perhaps women can be deacons, but only men can be overseers, and it would then follow that only men can be head pastors. 

Are women supposed to only teach other women?  But then what about Acts 18:24-26, "a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately."

So Priscilla, being a woman, taught and instructed Apollos.  Does that mean she had authority over him then?  It's hard to say. 

So I still don't know.  It's a very confusing topic for sure.  May God give me wisdom to understand why Paul seems to contradict himself.  May I get a revelation on this somehow of what God intends for women to do in regards to church leadership and teaching.  Amen. 

God bless!









No comments:

Post a Comment