Saturday, October 27, 2012

Nutrition: What is Good to Eat?

A basic principle about nutrition: many of us do not get the vitamins and minerals we need each day so our bodies want us to keep eating and eating until we get them.  The problem is, we never get what we need from soda, candy or chips.

Instead of having positive effects, these all have very negative effects. 

My dad was very knowledgeable about nutrition, so I grew up knowing a lot of basic things about nutrition that I have always taken for granted. 

His goal was actually to get a B.A. in nutrition and become a nutrition professor at a university, but then my brother and I came along. lol

But I gleaned a lot of wisdom from him about what to eat.

Then my grandma practically indoctrinated me regarding what is good and what is not good to eat. lol  She was very adamant about her opinions regarding nutrition.   

I have also had a few close friends who were also very much into nutrition along the way.

And here is what I have learned, eat things raw.

I just realized, I always find it odd when people ask me if I cook.  Why would I cook when everything is so much better for you raw?

I have always been very big on fruit and try to eat at least 5 a day.

Did you know, you might have a sweet tooth because you do not eat enough fruit?  It's true!  So go eat a bunch of fruit, lol, and you just might not crave chocolate or ice cream ever again!  I'm serious. :)

It's worked for me.  The more fruit I eat I have pretty much no desire for ice cream or any kind of candy.

Also, a basic rule of nutrition, sugar is evil.  honestly.  Because it sends you on crazy roller coaster blood sugar rides all day!  Right?  So beware of sugar in any form.  The worst way to start the day off is with a donut.  Shredded wheat (not the kind with the frosting lol) or oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon is probably the best option. :) 

As far as veggies go, broccoli is the best, or anything else very, very green.

Regarding meat, I have often heard that we as Americans eat way to much red meat.  Fish is always the best option when it comes to meat.  My basketball coach always advised us to eat a tuna sandwich on game day.  He said it was "Brian food," and it's true, it totally is! 

A good easy protein is peanuts.  I love peanuts!  And you can take them with you wherever you go! 

So tuna, fruit, peanuts and broccoli.  If you eat just that all the time you will be incredibly healthy.  It is really quite simple.   

No need to have extensive diet books or track calories.  Just eat tuna, fruit, peanuts and broccoli. lol :)

Cut out all bread if possible. Bread, the way it is made today, is almost impossible for your body to digest so it just sits there in your stomach. lol

Another meal/snack I really like is cheese, lunch meat and salsa in a wheat tortilla quesidilla.

But lunch meat has it's down sides as well. The best kinds of cheese are usually white cheese or sharp cheddar I have heard.

For further reading I recommend the book "The Maker's Diet."  It lays out how God would ideally like for us to eat.  Why not take advice from the guy who created our bodies right?  lol

May you abound in grace and peace this week!  God bless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment