Saturday, September 12, 2015

My Counseling Journey


Joyce Meyer says often that she never went to counseling to heal from her issues, but most people who have been abused in some way will need counseling. 

My journey of counseling began when I was 6.  My reason for needing counseling was that my dad sexually abused me from the time I was born until I was 6.  The worst event happened when I was 6 where I think he was attempting to rape me, as crazy as that sounds.  I ran away though before much could happen.  I told my mom later that day what happened, he moved out the next day and then was committed to jail for a time. 

My mom, praise God, then got me into counseling and a support group with other little girls who had been sexually abused.  Both were very good for me.  I think I did both for about a year or more. 

Then we moved to Nebraska when I was 9 and I saw another counselor for about a year.
 
Then in high school I saw a lady at a Calvary Church for awhile.

In college at Biola University my 21st birthday present to myself was to start counseling again.  It was only $12 a session since I was a student, and I had counseling from students in the masters program, so that was nice.  I did that for about two years and I went two times a week.  That was actually my hardest work in counseling, perhaps because now as an adult I saw things a lot differently and more clearly.

The main benefit of counseling is you set aside time to force yourself to work through the pain in your heart.  Normally we just ignore it.  We put on a fake smile and try to act strong when we are out in the world.  But you can only fake it for so long.  At some point, you have to be honest with yourself and with someone else about your pain.  Most people have a hard time being totally honest with anyone they know, so that is why people pay counselors.  People also pay counselors because you are paying someone to be understanding and nice to you.  The fact is, most people aren't perfectly nice to you, but your counselor is paid to be.  So that is good. :)

Then after college I saw a woman who had been sexually abused as well by her dad.  I benefitted from talking to her a lot.  She wasn't a licensed counselor, but having her personal perspective and experience on things really helped a lot. 

Then when I was 25 I went to a support group at my church in Omaha, Christ Community Church, for women who had been sexually abused.  It was mostly older women who were all good mentors for me.

My last recovery thing was going to Celebrate Recovery about 2 years ago for 6 months.  I benefitted from that a lot as well and met great friends in that. 

Also I have read a lot of psychology and Christian growth books over the last 10 years, but the two that were the most healing for me were "The Wounded Heart" by Dr. Dan Allender and "Beauty for Ashes" by Joyce Meyer. :)

So all that to say, it is because of all that work that I put into counseling and support groups that I am as healthy as I am today.  Not that I am perfectly healthy, but I am much better than I would have been if I had not done all that. 

So if you have been through anything hard, I highly recommend you put in the work of recovering through counseling and support groups.  The Bible says that we are to help carry each other's burdens.  Because you can't carry your burdens on your own very well. 

We need to get help in healing to break the cycle.  To heal.  For your family and your children.  To be a good witness for Christ etc. 

God wants you to be whole and healthy but it's not going to happen without any effort on your part.  Get some help, and admit that you might need help, if you do. 

God bless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment