Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Psychology vs. Christianity


Andrew Womack is a very good teacher.  This morning I saw him on KPEJ talking about how psychology can teach things that are completely different from Christianity.  He had a lot of very valid points.  He pointed out that psychology's mantra is basically, "You are a product of your past and your environment, and whatever it has caused you to do, you can't help it."  But that really is a lie straight from the pit of hell.  That is COMPLETELY the opposite of what the Bible says.  On the contrary, the TRUTH is that when you get saved you become a totally "new creation in Christ.  The old things have passed away.  Behold ALL things have become new."  Amen.

Womack pointed out that in AA programs they seem to teach that an alcoholic "can't help it."  I have actually been to AA meetings with friends who struggled and that really is what they teach and it always really bothered me too.  I actually stood up and spoke in a meeting once of about 200 people.  I shared how I was molested by my dad but I knew what happened to me didn't have to dictate who I am now.  I said how through God transforming me I was able to overcome my past.  I said how I could have easily ended up being an alcoholic but I didn't, thanks to God.  Hopefully I made a lot of them think.  But that is the truth, no matter what we have been through, we can be different. 

Andrew Womack is completely right on.  We DON'T have to let our past dictate our future, and psychology does seem to say that.  Them saying that then takes any responsibility for actions off of a person and places the blame entirely on what others have done to them.  They teach that you are a victim etc.  There is NO room for confession.  There is no room for someone saying, "Regardless of what others did, I messed up and I need to change myself.  I could have lived better and made better choices but I didn't."  They make it sound like once you are broken by your past you will always be broken.  Or like people in AA will say "I AM an alcoholic" EVEN THOUGH they have been sober for years.  But that is not the truth about them anymore.  They should rather say, "I USED to struggle with drinking too much, but I don't anymore.  Praise God.  He has delivered me." 

The same goes for any victim of sexual abuse.  Just because you were sexually abused does not mean you are destined to get into drugs or be sexually promiscuous.  That is GENERALLY what happens to sexual abuse victims, but it DOESN'T have to.  Why?  Because we have a savior that can make ANYONE completely whole again, as if nothing ever happened.  Jesus can do a miracle in your mind and make you a totally new creation.  There may always be 2% of the aftermath left after someone is abused, but it doesn't have to be 100% or 90% of who they are or who they become.  A person's past does NOT have to dictate ANYTHING that they do now.  ANYONE can overcome their past, through Jesus' redeeming work.  Amen!

A popular verse that many love is "by his stripes we are healed."  This doesn't always have to mean a physical healing.  MOST of the time this is a mental, emotional and spiritual healing.  When we are saved, we are freed from the bonds of sin and the bonds that our past may have tried to keep us under.  The chains are broken and we are set free!  Amen!  We are no longer destined to be affected by our past.  "He who the son sets free is free indeed!"

The bottom line is, human beings cannot help but sin, because we were all born as slaves to sin.  But through believing in Jesus Christ we can be set free!  We can live a victorious life, NO MATTER what happened to us in the past.  No matter what!  Don't believe the lie that Satan tries to tell you that because your dad was an alcoholic now you have to be one.  Don't believe the lie that because you were sexually abused you will now probably be a drug addict your whole life or an alcoholic or sleep around.  That DOESN'T have to be you!  You can walk your own path.  You can be your own person.  You don't have to end up like your parents.  You don't have to follow in the sins of your father or mother, because you are now a new creation in Christ.  Amen! 

Or don't accept the lie that since your father or mother struggled with anxiety or depression now you will to.  YOU DON'T HAVE TO!  You can CHOOSE how your future will play out.  You can CHOOSE who you will become.  "Today I set before you life and death.  Choose life that you might live."  Amen.  You can renew your own mind and be totally different and better than anyone in your family and anyone you have ever known!  Through God's power ANYTHING is possible!  "With God all things are possible."  Amen?  Amen.  You just have to believe that you can and you can. 
Amen.  May God bless you!  I hope what I wrote inspires you and encourages you.  You can have a GREAT future no matter what you have been through in the past.  God says, "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper  you and not to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future."  Amen.  Believe it!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment