Monday, June 20, 2022

The Benefits of Fasting

 Try fasting for 24 hours. It will break your addiction to sleep and food and teach you better self-control.

God asked me to give up smoking first, then coffee and now I am trying to fast from food. When fasting you can drink any liquid. Just abstain from solid food for a day or so. Next I will give up my phone for a few weeks. 

Giving up smoking was a bit hard. Giving up coffee was actually easy. Giving up food for 24 hours is very hard. 

I was reading in Luke yesterday, the story of the rich young ruler. He told Jesus that he fasted 2 days every week. I wonder what Jesus thought about that. I'm sure he was at least slightly impressed. He was like an A plus student according to Jewish law. 

The Jews fasted twice a week. Most Americans fast almost never. Not that that is bad. It is wonderful that we are so blessed. But maybe that is why we have a reputation for being spoiled and conceited. We rarely look outside of ourselves at the world around us. We rarely try to practice self-control. Do you know people in your city that are hungry? Why don't you eat less so they can eat more? 

Food was never meant to be our God, but so often we let it become our God. Try to give up food for a day. Overall, it will increase your mental health and your appreciation for the small things in life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment