Thursday, November 23, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving

 I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. Remember to respect your family members. They made you who you are today. 

I have many happy memories of my grandpa having us go around the table and say what we were thankful for every Thanksgiving. I always liked sharing and hearing what everyone said. It used to be my mom, step-dad, grandparents, two uncles and cousins that would get together. That was years ago. Ever since I was 25, I've had much smaller Thanksgivings, usually with the family of whatever man I was with. It was always a bit awkward but fun too. It can be good to have new experiences and make new friends.

My step-dad used to always make a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. He was the chef in our family and he probably wanted to make it all just like his mom did. It was always terrific. We also used to get take out for holidays from various places. He is the only one who really enjoyed cooking in my entire extended family. I don't know what the rest of them did for food. TV dinners perhaps? :) I mostly have always made sandwiches and tacos for myself. 

Thanksgiving is the one day each year where everyone really enjoys food. Most other days I think we just eat so we won't be grumpy, depending on what you were taught to think in regards to food. It is the day when everything tastes better. It is a day really to celebrate that we even have food. I think most of the time we take food for granted. We just expect that we will have it. 

The first Thanksgiving was caused by the Native Americans bringing the English settlers food so they wouldn't starve. Maybe the real Pocahontas had a hand in that generosity. The English had ran out of food. I don't know why they didn't just sail back home. They may have died on the journey if their food was gone. They learned to make friends with the Native Americans and got food in return. It is too bad that relationship didn't stay friendly. 

Remember to be thankful this season. Don't forget about being thankful once it's the Christmas season. You have more than you need, probably. Remember to always give God thanks for all you have. 




No comments:

Post a Comment