Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Travel Comedy

I went to India when I was 14, which was super fun but also so awkward. The people stared at my team from church like we were green alien people. 😱😁

I went to Taiwan when I was 16. We got flowers for our host homes at the night market. We were running late for something, and I remember us sprinting down the streets. The flowers were still ok. 

I went to Mexico with my church when I was 17. We lived in what we called Tent City and couldn't take a shower anywhere. So one day we washed our hair in the sprinklers on a college campus down there. ☺

When I was 18 I did a backpacking trip with friends down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. We walked from sunrise to sundown that first day. I had never been so exhausted in my life.

When I was 19 my family did a Caribbean cruise. I got to do parasailing in Haiti. I realized parasailing is actually quite boring. Should have done the snorkeling. 

I did a road trip to Colorado when I was 19. I drove with a guy friend for 20 hours straight. We got a lot of Starbucks along the way and listened to a Switchfoot CD. That kept us wide awake. 😁

When I was 21 my family did the Alaska cruise. I won the karaoke idol contest. They just gave me a lunchbox. The next day my step brother and I did a long bike ride in the rain. 😟

I drove to Sacramento for a summer class when I was 22. Driving back to Southern CA I got so tired that the lines on the road got blurry. I should have gotten a hotel, but no, we kept on driving. Thank God for double shot espresso drinks. 

After college at age 22 I went back to Taiwan to minister with the same church. We helped run an English learning camp. I sang the song Fantasy for some of the kids. I think they thought I was just as cool as Mariah Carey herself. 😂

My mom and brother and I did a road trip through Yellowstone when I was 23. There were bison blocking the streets in lots of places. We had to just wait for them to move. That was pretty funny.

When I was 28 I went to Australia. I got to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef with a friend. That was on my bucket list for a long time. The coral was grey though. 😭 Very sad. And hundreds of tiny jelly fish were all around us. One got in my flipper and stung my toe. Not cool. 

When I was 29 I went to the Bahamas. I got to see a shark feeding. It was a thrashing wild and fun and experience. 

Around age 34 I went to South Padre Island. Every 8 feet on the shoreline there was a dead man of war jelly fish. I was freaked out to see that, because I had just been in the water the day before. If you touch one it can kill you. 

When I was 36 I did a road trip to Las Vegas with a lame guy. He caused us to run out of gas almost in the middle of no where. That was probably the worst day of my life. 😣

At age 37 I did a road trip all over the south. I spent every night in a hotel. I can't believe I spent 3k on hotels. But that was a bucket list trip for me. I felt liberated doing that trip by myself. It made me believe I could do anything! 😁

At age 38 I had a sweet baby boy. I spent 6 nights in the hospital. It was hard being away from home for so long, but I survived. I got my blood drawn every day. Nurses poked my stomach. When I came home it was like coming home after a long road trip. I was thinking, "Ah home sweet home. There's no place like home. I'm never leaving here again." 

But someday a trip to Argentina would be super cool. 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment