Thursday, October 5, 2023

Pick Your Path

 I told my bf yesterday, "Just because a few people in your family were alcoholics, that doesn't mean you have to be that way too. My mom just laid in bed anytime she was home, but I'm not like that, and I'm not going to be like that."

Why do we often turn out just like our parent or uncle or grandparent? It is referred to as generational curses sometimes. The Bible says, "The Lord will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation." The sins of the fathers are passed down up to the 4th generation. What does that mean? It means not only is one man punished for his sins, generations get punished for his sins. Why? None of us will totally understand why God decided to do that. But men, live holy lives or else your children and your grandchildren will suffer. You can bless the path for your entire bloodline by being good. 

This verse is why one generation often looks like the previous generation. My mom's family was lazy. I try hard not to be lazy. My dad's family had temper issues and alcoholism. I have tried to not get overly angry and to drink only one drink when I drink. His family also had good traits though like being hard workers. That is why my mom and dad got married. He was a hard worker, and she was lazy. 🤔😣

My brother always said, "Dad showed me everything that I don't want to be." Other than being a hard worker, he was a terrible person. He was super critical of anything that any of us did or said. He always corrected our grammar. That really annoyed me. Even after molesting me he had the nerve to hang a giant banner all around my room that said, "Honor your mother and father that it may go well with you." I resented that. As an adult of course, I have realized how messed up that was. It's like he was saying, "I know I don't deserve honor, but do what the Bible says."

Your parents could have been even worse than mine. God says sorry you had to put up with that. 😪 The key is to imitate the good traits of your parents instead of the bad traits. You can do it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment