Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Terrence Malick

 Terrence Malik is the writer and director of The Tree if Life and about 8 other movies. He has the same birthday as me. Woah...We both were born on Nov. 30th. I only knew 2 other people who had my same birthday. We both had terrible fathers. His brother died by suicide. I was worried my brother might kill himself a few times. Perhaps I need to watch all his movies now. 

I looked up his bio. He never had kids. 😪 I wonder if his dad beat him so badly as to make him infertile. In one scene of The Tree of Life Brad Pitt, acting as his dad, throws him in a closet. I can just picture Brad saying, "What? You want me to throw a kid in the closet?" But I guess that was common back then. Parents were a lot more crazy back then, before CPS. 😣 

I think maybe his dad was possessed. At one point a chair moves as if a spirit moved it. Then you see a dark figure outside, probably a demon. That was a spirit that must have made his dad crazy.

The whole movie seems to be him understanding why his brother committed suicide. He remembered good and bad things from his childhood. Maybe his brother only focused on the bad parts, and the depression over that caused his suicide. 

I think the older brother kills himself in the end. That is how he ends up in heaven with his family. Or it may be Purgatory instead of heaven. Catholics believe most souls go to Purgatory first to pay for their sins, before they are allowed into heaven. 

Suicide is so hard. I had a co worker who I think killed himself 2 years ago. Maybe it was just an accident. But I kept trying to figure out why. Why did he want to die, or why did God let him die? All God tells me is, "Sorry that you went through that." 

God never promised any of us an easy life. We all have a struggle to handle, but the struggle makes us strong. 


No comments:

Post a Comment