Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Think Like a Monk

 This is another book by Jay that I plan to read someday. If I would have thought like a monk, I could have saved my first marriage, well maybe. I should have wanted less. I should have been more content with what I already had, but I was always wanting more. Watch out for that. What you already have is probably enough. You just have to change your perspective. 

How do monks think? 

They seem to need very little food, sleep and material things. They love peace and quiet. They are disciplined. They are generally happy. 

I read a few books by Catholic monks in my college great books program at Biola. It was called the Torrey Honors Institute for all the brightest minds at my college. I aspired to write books like the monk's books that we read. There was one titled "On Friendship." That was my favorite one. 

Monks love to think and write about life. They try to pass on any wisdom they have learned in order to make the world a better place. There is always a well of knowledge inside of them just waiting to get out. This comes from their times of meditation, or just being in silence and thinking a lot. The best writing comes after thinking about everything you need to think about. 

In SoCal I went to a Catholic monastery with a class I was in on Saint Augustine. We were reading his book "Confessions." I was very into Augustine for a season. My favorite quote by him is "Our hearts are restless until they rest in thee." That was my life motto for a season. 

Rest your heart in God. Nothing else matters really.  Just focus on God all day, every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment