Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Butterfly

Someone once told me the transformation of the caterpillar to the butterfly was the most convincing argument they had heard for the existence of God.

Like the butterfly is radically transformed from a caterpillar, so Christians when "converted" are radically transformed. 

Paul says, "Behold the old is gone, the new has come!"

He also says, "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." 

We are a completely new creation. 

Before being converted we were a slave to sin, as Paul explains in Romans 6, "For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin."

Before we being saved we could not help but sin.  It was our nature.

After being saved, we now have a choice.  We can either choose to sin and so live by the flesh, or choose to live by the Spirit.

This is why Christians still sin, because we are still living in imperfect bodies and we still have our inherent sin nature inside of us.

Romans 8 says, "Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God."

"The world," or the unsaved cannot please God.  Nothing they do can is "good," even though it may appear "good" on the outside, it is never fully "good."

We, in our natural state, are incapable of submitting to God's law.  Our natural bent is toward selfishness and rebelllion, from the time we are born until we accept the Holy Spirit into us to transform us. 

Paul goes on to say, "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."

I used to be confused after I was saved that I was still capable of the same sins I committed before I was saved.  But the sin does not instantly vanish when we are saved.  Temptation is still there, Satan is still there, and our sin nature is still inside of us warring with the Spirit inside of us every day. 

Paul says, "if you live according to the flesh," meaning we still have this option. 

We have to conciously choose to "put to death the misdeeds of the body."  This is a daily decision, but none of us can ever be completely without sin, even as Christains.  Regardless of how pios we want to appear we all still sin. 

I sin everytime I get angry at someone, or jealous that someone has something I do not, or impatient. 

Paul also says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering."

Earlier in Romans he explains that the 10 Commandments actually made people want to sin more.  An example of this would be if you see a "do not walk on the grass" sign and what is the first thing you want to do?  Go walk on the grass right? 

This is our natural rebellious bent.  We want to do the opposite of what anyone tells us to do, including God.

This is why Paul calls it "the law of sin and death."  He also says that the law was "powerless" to correct our actions, because we are incapable of being good on our own.  We cannot FORCE oursevles to be good.  It just will not work.

Therefore, God sent his son to be a sin offering.  And as if that wasn't enough he also gave us his Holy Spirit to enable us to at least choose life and not sin instead of being slaves to sin. 

Praise God!

Paul says, " I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting."

This follows the illustration of "do not walk on the grass."  Then all we can think about is that we want to walk on the grass. 

This is depraved bent mind's natural tendencies. 

He also says, " I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death."

This is a mystery indeed.  God did not intend for sin to increase when he gave the law and the commandments, but of course he knew, since he knows ALL things, that that would be the result.

He wanted us to come to the end of ourselves.  He wanted us to try to do it on our own and realize that we cannot and turn to him.

He just must have known that we as humans ALWAYS have to learn things the hard way.  Do we not?  I know I certainly do.  I have learned just about everything the hard way. 

He says, "For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.....I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do....I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing."

Isn't that the truth!  Preach it Paul! lol :)  Sometimes we feel powerless over our own sin.  This is actually one of the first steps in any 12 step recovery program.  We have to first recognize we are powerless over our sin or whatever habit has taken hold of us.

I actually attended about 3 or 4 AA meetings with some girls I was working with in a kind of group home for teens who struggled with substance abuse.

Going to those meetings was some of the most enriching and enlightening experiences of my life.  The meetings were HUGE too!  I would say about 100 people were in each meeting. 

One time I spoke up and briefly shared my story.  I said, "My life probably started like a lot of yours did.  I was abused by my dad and my parents divorced when I was 10, but God saved me and transformed me when I was 14 and I know he can do the same for all of you too."

I hope God used what I said in that meeting.  And I hope he is using what I write on here. 

God can do ALL THINGS!  He can change and transform anyone.  It does not matter how "evil" they are or how many bad things they or you have done.  "His grace is sufficient."  He is not suprised by anything we do.  He created us and all our days were numbered, meaning he knew every step we would take, before we were born. 

If he could change Paul from a Christian hating and persecuting Saul then he can change any of us. 

Paul would have never seen himself where he ended up.  He would have NEVER DREAMED he would end up writing half the new testament.  He probably had killed thousands of Christians when God met him on the road to Damascus.  And God forgave him.  What makes you think he won't forgive you?  HE WILL!  The truth is HE ALREADY HAS.

So Come to Jesus and ask him for forgiveness.  Admit you are powerless over whatever sin you have in your life and give it to Him.  Lay it at the foot of his cross and he will take it.

Jesus said, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Find rest in Jesus today from anything, any burden you are carrying, anyone you have not forgiven, any sin you feel guilt and shame over.  He wants to take it off your shoulders.  He wants to give you a a spiritual massage.  Just let him. 

And trust that he is all you need.  When you get to heaven and God asks why he should let you in DO NOT try to rattle off all your accomplishments.  He really does not care.  None of that will impress Him.  You know what will impress him?  Saying you are broken and sorry and please forgive me.

That is all he wants to hear from you.

You do not need to put on a show for him.  You do not need to say anything or do ANYTHING. 

COME TO HIM AS YOU ARE.  He loves you just as you are!

Forget what the chruch says that you have to get cleaned up before you can come to church or God.

That is a bunch of non-sense!  GOD LOVES YOU JUST AS YOU ARE!

SO BELIEVE!  AND BE SAVED!  Amen :)

God be with you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment