Sunday, November 11, 2012

Is The Message the Bible?

What is "The Message?"  Is it or is it not a translation of the Bible?  Why is it quoted in books and sermons as if it is a translation of the Bible? 

The book "The Message" has bothered me for some time now.  I feel in my soul that it is just wrong. 

Every time I hear someone read from "The Message" or quote "The Message" my heart just cringes.  Seriously.

As the last verse in Revelation could be applied to the Book of Mormon and the Apocrapha, it can also be applied to "The Message."

Rev. 22 says, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

"The Message" adds a LOT of words to the Bible.  In fact in changes EVERY SINGLE WORD in the Bible.  It is said that it is not considered a translation of the Bible.  Then why does everyone quote it and refer to it as if it is?! 

I feel "The Message" is spitting in the face of God.  The Holy Bible is holy and God's living and active word.  It cannot be replaced by something written by a mere man.  I am sure Eugene Peterson is very smart, but he is NOT GOD.  Therefore, he cannot write God's word for Him.  That is heresy, blasphemy, and I don't like it.

I used to work at a Christian bookstore and women would buy 3 or 4 copies of "The Message" to give to all their kids or grand kids.  The idea is that if they cannot understand the Bible, they can understand "The Message."  The problem is they are then NOT reading the Bible.  They are reading "The Message," and "The Message" IS NOT THE BIBLE. 

Something to think about. 

God be with you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment