Monday, November 19, 2012

Henry Cloud's Testimony

Listen to this.  Henry Cloud may be the wisest person I have ever heard speak.  I have loved his books.  Boundaries is a very amazing book.  He is a great author and has a lot of wisdom to share.  Here is his life story. :) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxXbeYHq1NM&feature=related

He was born in Mississippi.  When he was a child he almost was going to get his leg amputated.  His mom heard a voice telling her to take him to another hospital.  The woman at the new hospital was able to treat his disease that he had without amputating his leg. 

He accepted Christ when he was little.  He always believed in God, but it was at a camp he said when he really understood everything about God.  He says he wasn't really sold out for God until college though.

Half way through college he decided that he wanted to help people with mental health issues.  :)  He went to work in a psychiatric hospital.  He started as an orderly and helped co-lead groups.  He went to Rosemead graduate school at Biola University. (my school!) lol  He had a mystical experience in the interview to decided if should go to this school, which made him know he needed to come to California.  He then did his internship here in Orange County.  So cool!

He loves his work.  He loves to figure out the issues of growth for leaders, relationships etc. 

A struggle in his life was when he was in college, he had just gone to play golf, but he suffered a hand injury and had to quit sadly.  He realized that he had idolized golf.  But he got severly depressed when he could not play anymore and he hit rock bottom.  That is when God really showed up in his life. 

Dr. Cloud says, "When I say I know what depression is I'm not kidding.  I know what it's like literally to not be able to move."  wow.....I have actually never experience depression that bad, by the grace of God.  "I remember a time when I couldn't make a commitment cause I didn't know if in 3 or 4 weeks I would be able to."

"I learned a lot of the principles that we encourage people to get involved in.....it was my relationship with God and the community" that helped.

Then later, both of his parents died within weeks of each other and 3 weeks later his brother in law Mark was killed, whom he was very close to.  Wow.....that's a lot of loss right in a row!

In 08 "that's when the world fell apart."  "I didn't have the time and space to deal with those three deaths."  "I was gradually getting number and didn't care about the future as much."  "I realized, I think i'm stuck in a grief process."  How sad :(  Poor Henry Cloud!

"So often it's the good guy that ends up dying."   "How did you resolve that with God," Steve asks.

"For some reason, that's never been.... the question for me." That's good. :)

Mark was asked to go back to Iraq.  Dr. Cloud says, "Mark died doing what he loved!  He loved what he did!  He knew he was rescuing people!....To me he's a hero."

"God has always called heros, and sometimes even to die."

"I knew Mark had given his life to God, and he was in God's hands."

Wow what a powerful story!  I love Dr. Cloud!  And I love how wise he is and it is obviously because he has essentially been to hell and back.  That is usually what it takes for us to become people that God can use in amazing ways!  Often times we HAVE to hit rock bottom first. 

My rock bottom experience was moving to California from Nebraska when I was 14 I suppose.  I had to leave all of my friends, and I had a lot of friends in junior high.  That was very hard for me.  I have never felt so lonely in my life.  It was then that God was all I had.  It was then that I told God I would do whatever he wanted me to do. 


This would also be beneficial to listen to. :)  It is on the topic of Boundaries, his most famous book.  "When to say no, to take control of your life."  He has some amazing advice to give about how to just live. 
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ7wKKx4_xg&feature=related


May God bless you this week as you go about life!  May he heal any hurts that you have and help you to grow in wisdom.  God bless and take care! :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment