Friday, November 9, 2012

Chapter 5: I Give Up!



            Neil Postman says in his book Victory Over the Darkness, “external appearance, accomplishment and recognition don’t necessarily reflect, or produce, internal peace and maturity.” 

I relied on my looks most of my teenage years to gain love and acceptance.  I was always fairly attractive so it usually worked. 

I relied on my many accomplishments to bring me fulfillment.  I did all the extra-curricular activities I could do. 

I wanted to get the grades to get into the good college to get the good job to have the good life that all Americans seem to be striving for.  We have the right to the pursuit of life, love and happiness right?  But how does one get there? 

After finally getting my college degree I could echo what Solomon says in Ecclesiastes.  It is all a chasing after the wind.  “ ‘Meaningless!  Meaningless!’ says the Teacher.  ‘Everything is meaningless!  What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?....Naked a man comes from his mother’s womb, and as he comes, so he departs.”  (Ecc. 1:2-3 , 5:15)  Any accomplishment we make does not matter in the long run.  Anything that will gain us earthly glory will not matter in eternity.  Also, no amount of accomplishments will fill the God-shaped hole inside any of us. 

Augustine once said, “our hearts are restless until they rest in thee.”  Solomon tried to find fulfillment in what the world could offer but he found that is was impossible.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is when Solomon says, “I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man’s envy of his neighbor” (Ecc. 4:4)  The entire reason we are motivated to accomplish more, to not just get a B.A. but a Masters and then a Doctorate is because we envy our neighbor.  Why else do we strive and strive and strive.  We all want to be the best.  We are all competing against each other.  This is why scripture says, “Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Tim. 6:6).  Also I once read “a happy person is the one who wants what he has.” 

After college I also came to echo what Paul says in Philippians.  “If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eight day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.” (Phil. 3:4-6)  No one is perfect, but for a Jew, Paul came pretty close.  He is listing his credentials here. 

In our modern time it would be the same as him saying I have a B.A. as a double major in biochemistry and mechanical engineering.  I have a masters in Engineering and a doctorate in Biochemical Warfare.  I did everything that our society says to do to be successful.  I have the biggest house in the country.  I own all the latest cars. 

In Paul’s day religious credentials were more important than money or status like in our current culture.  My, how far we have fallen from biblical days. 

Despite his reasons that he could be arrogant he goes on to say, “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ” (Phil. 3:7-8).  Paul says it is all worthless.  Not only worthless but actually a hindrance to his pursuit of becoming more like Christ.  That is why he considers them rubbish. 

Rubbish is a kind interpretation.  The actual word in Greek means excrement.  In comparison to the glory of knowing Christ, his accomplishments could be found in a dumpster.  He is saying, there is no comparison.

Jesus said to the rich young ruler, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor” (Mt. 19:20).  After the man refused Jesus said, “it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” (Mt. 19:24).  His money held him back.  Little did he realize his money, like someone’s accomplishment, was like a chain that he carried around.  His wealth prevented him from being free to follow Christ.  Jesus said, “no servant can serve two masters…he will hate the one and love the other” (Luke 16:13).  One cannot love both God and money.

The same is true for people who have great intelligence or amazing athletic ability or a great singing voice.  I had all these things and they have only hindered my walk from growing more with Jesus.  It is like walking in molasses or running in the sand, because my focus has very much been on myself. 

Look at all the things I can do.  Instead I should say, no it is because of God and God alone that I have accomplished as much as I have.  There is no way I should have been able to get straight A’s and finish college considering all that I have been through.  God is the reason I have any of my abilities.  He is the source of anyone’s talent and knowledge, because he made every one of us.  David wrote, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Ps. 139:13).  We did not make ourselves, as some like to think, God made us.    

It is so easy for our ego to overwhelm us when we are excel at anything, but pride is very dangerous.  Pride is essentially the root of all sin, because pride is relying on ourselves instead of God.  We make ourselves our own God. 

Pride says, “I don’t need God’s or anyone’s help, thank you.  I am fine on my own.  I may have fallen down but I can get myself up.  Don’t help me.  I got this.” 

I said all that to myself for years; more lies from Satan.  I was Ms. Independent.  I did not think I needed anyone and I would not let anyone in.

Behind the mask of pride and bravado was really a very insecure girl.  I would not accept help from God or anyone else because I was incapable of trust due to what my father did.  Often times, the people who seem the most secure and the most like they have everything under control have a tornado raging on the inside, in their heart. 

I was afraid to let anyone else in to hurt me. 

However, someone finally got into my heart, and that was my late husband.  He was the first one to make it across enemy lines without getting shot, and he has stood strong with me even when the tornadoes rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment