Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pros and Cons to Drinking

“The sound rule in the matter would appear to be like many other sound rules – a paradox. Drink because you are happy, but never because you are miserable. Never drink when you are wretched without it, or you will be like the grey-faced gin-drinker in the slum; but drink when you would be happy without it, and you will be like the laughing peasant of Italy. Never drink because you need it, for this is rational drinking, and the way to death and hell. But drink because you do not need it, for this is irrational drinking, and the ancient health of the world.” – G. K. Chesterton

Everyone knows the pros of drinking; being more social if you are naturally more introverted, feeling more relaxed, laughing more easily, being more fun.....

However what are the cons?  These are things people rarely think about.....getting a DUI so you cannot drive for a year, severe dehydration the day after, throwing up (which is NEVER fun), doing something really stupid like breaking your leg, saying something you will seriously regret later....and many many other things.

I know pretty much everyone my age drinks, and I have always wondered why.

What is the motivation for drinking?

I suppose for me music is the equivalent but with all the good side effects and none of the bad ones. 

What was originally the purpose of alcohol? 

To be an anesthesia for surgery.  It is meant to kill any sense of feeling. 

So why do people that drink not want to feel?  What do they not want to feel? 

I think I have only drank alcohol on 10 occasions in my life, and none of them were good experiences.

The first time was on my 13th birthday party.  My older brother's friend generously donated a ton of alcohol for my celebration.  I don't think I should have thanked him for that.

It was absolutely horrible.  I was completely wasted.  And I don't know how I didn't trip down the stairs that night and kill myself. 

A speaker I once heard said that he had never in his life had even a sip of beer.  That would be quite an accomplishment.  A friend once asked him, "Well how do you know you won't like it if you don't try it?!"  He said, "Do I need to try putting my head under a semi truck's tire to know that won't be good for me." 

Amen!  Why can't we all be that logical and wise? 

But many of us have to learn the hard way.  For women that is having one too many times throwing up.  We won't put up with naturally induced sickness for long. lol  We have enough of that to look forward to in pregnancy. 

For men it might be having drinking almost ruin their marriage.  Many women, including myself, have almost left someone on account of drinking. 

Eph. 5 says, "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." 

What is debauchery?  hm.....

It can be defined as "reckless indulgence" or "extreme indulgence of one's appetites, especially for sensual pleasure." 

"Reckless" could easily be a synonym for drinking.  Unless one drinks in moderation.  But how often does that happen? 

What does Paul say, "All things are permissible for me, but I will not be mastered by anything."

How many people let alcohol master them?  If even for a night? 

It is not forbidden as nothing in the new covenant with Christ is forbidden necessarily.  We are under grace now and not under law.  But with everything we should ask ourselves the question, "Will this master me?  Will I let this master me?"

May God bring to mind anything you have let yourself be mastered by, not necessarily alcohol.  We all have our own idols.  What's your idol?

Peace be with you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment