Friday, November 9, 2012

Chapter 1: The Abuse


My sexual abuse did not actually seem abusive.  My father did not hurt me in any way physically, but the emotional scars and my skewed perception of the world have lived with me ever since then. 
The last event happend when I was 6.

Hours later I tried to run outside to tell my mom what happened when she came home from a doctor’s appointment, but my dad called me back inside. 

The next morning, when she was getting me ready for school, I said to her, “Mommy I want to tell you about something yucky, but daddy said you would get mad at him so he told me not to tell you.”  She promised, “it’s ok you can tell me, I won’t get mad at him.”  I told her what had happened.

My mom went to work but couldn’t concentrate, so on her morning break she went to a pay phone and called the Focus on the Family hotline.  The man from Focus on the Family told her, “You need to file a restraining order against him.”  She said she did not want to, and she was scared because she depended on his income to keep our house.  The man told her, “six year olds do not make up things like this, so she is probably telling the truth.”  He explained that he was a mandatory reported so since she told him he was obligated to report it.  She finally gave the man her name and address. 

When she got home, she confronted my dad about what I had told her.  He said, “I was asleep. I just thought she was you.”  She actually wanted to believe him.  She had admitted that if she had not already called the hotline at work she may not have reported it because my dad was very convincing.  Praise God that it did get reported!  She told my dad, “Well I already called Focus on the Family about the what happened.” 

Panicked, my dad then called the police and tried to explain his side of the situation.  He tried to convince them that he was asleep, and he did not really intend to do anything.  My dad must have sensed that they didn’t believe him, because he decided to pack his stuff up and leave.  He knew a police officer would probably come and question him. 

He drove to a trailer park in our family camper.  I remember my brother being very angry at me that day, like it was my fault that our dad had to leave.  Ironically enough, I felt a profound sense of sadness and abandonment also, because he had made me feel special and like I was his princess.  I had actually come to have a kind of crush on my dad, because I was essentially his mistress from the time I was born until I was six.

After a few days, my mom called Social Services.  Shockingly enough, they told her, “As long as he is not alone with the girl everything will be fine.”  How could anyone actually prevent him from ever being alone with me even for a second as long as we were in the same house?  Sadly, my mom took their advice and we actually all went to the trailer park to convince him to come back home.  My mom tried to make sure he was never alone with me.

Luckily, a few days later, on January 10, 1991, Social Services came to my school and interviewed my brother and I.  The police also came to our daycare later that day and drove my brother and I to Orangewood in Santa Ana, CA, a facility for wards of the state. I remember being afraid in that time that I might be separated from my brother forever and never see my mom again. 

We stayed at Orangewood for six days, until my dad’s mother hired an expensive attorney for my dad, and my dad signed a legal agreement stating that he would not try to contact my brother or I or come anywhere near our house.  The Orangewood facility then let my brother and I move back in with our mom, even though we were technically still wards of the state.

The night my brother and I were taken to Orangewood, Social Services called my parent’s house and said they wanted to come talk to my dad.  When my dad’s attorney found out about the situation he also called and warned my dad, “No they don’t just want to talk to you.  They are coming to arrest you.”  My dad decided to flee for his life essentially since he did not know what they might do.  

My dad hid behind his attorney. 

His attorney then met with the D.A. and arranged a plea bargain, meaning he cut a deal with them.  The arrangement was that my dad would serve six months in prison on the charge of a “lewd act upon a child.” 

Sadly, he actually was released after only three months based on his good behavior. 

He was then sentenced to serve four years on parole, and he was told that, at the end of the four years, his record would be completely erased.  To this day I have no idea why they were so merciful towards my dad. 

He is lucky he did not live in biblical times.  The punishment for molesting a child then was to be stoned to death.  Jesus himself said, “If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck” (Mark 9:24). 

The conditions of his parole were that he had to check in with a parole officer once a month and see a counselor weekly to ensure that he recover from his sexual addiction.  I don’t know how effective the counselor that he saw was though. 

The day my dad was arrested my mom committed herself to a mental hospital called New Life Treatment Center for two weeks.  His attorney advised him to never give a full confession to anyone, including my mom.  He warned my dad that if the D.A. found out everything they would review his case and he could get several years in prison.  However, he still, for whatever reason, wanted to tell my mom everything. 

He did admit to her that if the process was not stopped, he was afraid of what he might do. 


My mom remembers him telling her when I was almost two years old that he didn’t feel comfortable giving me a bath.  They decided my mom should always give me a bath.  It did not occur to her to ask why he said that, but she did find it peculiar.

My mom wanted to get back together with him after all this.  She actually still trusted that he had a good heart, and that he was a born again Christian.  She believed his conscious would make him honest in the future.  She thought God would change my dad’s heart and heal him. 

The ironic thing about that is what if God didn’t?  God does not always answer our prayers.  If I was in her position, I would have erred more on the side of caution.  The fact is, a born again Christian would not do something like that to their own child.  He was pretending the whole time.  He was quite the charmer, and he could convince people of almost anything.  He was a good liar, not a good Christian. 

I also to this day have some anger at my mom for wanting to get back together with him.  I never would have.  I also would not have allowed him to have visitation rights ever again, but she had very little knowledge at the time about how detrimental my dad’s sickness was due to his sexual addiction. 

After he was released from prison, Social Services said he could not have any contact with my brother or I unless it was supervised. 

After two and half years had passed, all of his therapists naively agreed that it would be safe for him to move back home.  My brother and I both actually wanted my dad to come back at the time.  I was eight then and my brother was twelve. 

My mom said I felt guilty the whole time that he was gone, because I was the one that told on him.  That was probably the main reason I agreed to him coming back home.

When he moved back in, his behavior seemed cordial and respectful enough.  He was very proper in his interactions with me.  We all went to church together, and both he and my mom ironically led worship at our church.  On the outside it appeared like there was nothing wrong with our family, but my dad’s mind was still filled with evil, and he eventually got less and less capable of hiding it. 


Though my dad never tried anything with me again, he did with my brother.  When my brother was thirteen my dad took a shower with him.  My dad would always pick on my brother for how long he took showers so his “reasoning” was that it was to show him how to take a shower quickly.  Words would have been sufficient of course, and that is why it was his attempt to “condition” my brother.  My mom and I did not know about this until recently.  Him doing this obviously proved that the counselors were wrong, he was not healed. 

My dad, of course, started having problems with co-workers and his boss at work.  He got fired from several jobs.  He and my mom then started fighting due to being short on money.  They couldn’t live off just one income. 

He started drinking two or three beers every night, because he was having trouble sleeping.  None of us liked his drinking.  He was no longer charming or fun.  I think he just stopped trying to cover up the blackness in his heart.  Putting on a mask for that long can get tiring I’m sure. 

He became very mean, critical and sarcastic.  He started to act bipolar or manic-depressive.  He would be depressed for days and then stay up all night organizing the garage and have tons of energy. 

One day at church my mom actually caught him flirting with another woman.  The church they had attended together before, called the local church, had very strict rules regarding the interactions between men and women.  So he had never been “friendly” before with women at church.

  He refused to go to a men’s group at church because he felt like he couldn’t relate to any of the guys there.  My mom did not like that she was the only person to keep him accountable. 

Then all of a sudden my dad did not want to go to church or counseling anymore. 

He always wanted to blame someone else for the many problems that he had. 

When his parole ended, my mom had to write a letter to his parole officer saying that he was recovered, even though he obviously was not.  She remembers that she did not want to write the letter, because, of course, she could tell he had not recovered at all. 

My mom finally started going to a co-dependency group at our church to get help for herself.  She felt that the group empowered her so that she finally did not feel as dependent on my dad as she always had.  She realized that she needed to “listen to her gut”, and if my dad’s behavior didn’t improve, she needed to leave. 

They started to have more conflict as she confronted him more on his issues.  The co-dependency group opened her eyes to his behaviors.  She finally asked him why he kept avoiding counseling and church.  She asked why he had so much energy all the time.  She asked why his jobs weren’t working out.

God truly saved us during this time, because my dad was capable of anything.  His behavior was so erratic.  I think my mom finally realized she had made the wrong decision by letting him come back.  She tried to make plans for our escape.  

After her and my dad had a particularly big fight about their money situation, she decided to take my brother and I away for a weekend to stay at her friend’s house.  She tried to called the Open Door Mission, a homeless rescue mission in Omaha, NE, that weekend to see if we could come stay there, but they did not have room. 

She called my dad to talk things out.  He was mad that she had taken their only car.  Finally he apologized and begged her to come back.  I remember her talking to him and thinking, “Why is she talking to him.”  “I don’t want to go back there with him.” 


After my brother and I left for school that day my mom called their marriage counselor and said that she was afraid of my dad.  My dad overheard what she said and got on the phone to try to talk his way out of the accusation. 

When my mom hung up the phone my dad said to her, “If you tell anybody else your afraid of me I’m going to make sure your mouth never says that again.” 

My mom then locked herself in the bathroom and called 911.  A police officer came out and while he was talking to my dad, my mom was packing a bag to leave.  The police officer said he could not do anything to my dad, because my dad had not actually physically hurt her.  So my mom just asked the officer for a ride into town. 

She went to stay at a lady’s house from our church.  My mom then called both my brother and I at school and told us to come to this woman’s house after school and not to go home.  She called my dad and told him that, due to his violent and unpredictable behavior, she had decided it was not safe for any us to live with him for awhile. 

In an attempt to counteract my mom’s plan to rescue my brother and I, my dad also called us at school and told us to disregard what my mom said.  I remember that was a very hard decision for me to make, because either choice led to be being disobedient. Praise Jesus both my brother and I chose to go to where my mom was staying.  I remember walking to the woman’s house where my mom was staying and being afraid that something would happen.  It all seemed very chaotic.    

My mom then arranged for us to stay at the Open Door Mission until she could get a restraining order against my dad.  We stayed at the mission for two weeks and my brother and I did not go to school during that time. 

My dad knew that since he had molested me my mom could legally take my brother and I away from him forever.  So my mom was afraid that if we went back to school my dad would kidnap us and take away from her first. 

While we were staying at the mission I remember I felt a lot of anger towards my mom over the whole situation.  Ironically enough, I opened a Bible at that time and read several verses to her on the topic of divorce.  I was torn on the inside because part of me still loved my dad and wanted my parents to stay together, but I knew he had a very sick mind.  My brother was also struggling with own anger during this time.  He began to walk in the hallways and aim a toy gun at people. 

 While we were staying at the mission my mom was referred to a Christian attorney.  He put a temporary court order in place that stated that my dad must move out of our house but that he could have visitation rights with my brother and I.  My dad also had an attorney which was why she felt that she had to come to a compromise. 

Before the permanent court order was in place my brother and I were asked if we felt comfortable visiting my dad.  I didn’t want to give up seeing my dad’s extended family so I stated that I still wanted to see my dad.  My brother also stated that he wanted to visit my dad.  The final court order said that my dad was required to have regular visits with my brother and I as long as I was comfortable with it. 

A few weeks after my dad moved out he moved in with a woman he had met at a bar.  My mom would not let us stay the night with him until he had bedrooms for my brother and I.  My mom thought that as long as my brother was there I would be safe.  In retrospect it is obvious to me that my brother’s presence did not ensure my safety, but my mom believed what she wanted to believe.

My dad got remarried to another woman after the divorce was finalized.  I did feel safer knowing that my step-mom was there.  She could be a difficult person sometimes, but at least she got my dad back in order.  She was from the south and very strict about everything.  At the time, she was good for my dad. 

A year after the divorce my brother did not want to visit my dad anymore, due to my dad’s constant criticism of him.  My mom was concerned about me still visiting my dad without my brother, so her and my grandma then started trying to convince me to move back to California from Nebraska to get away from him. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment