Monday, November 19, 2012

A Modern Prodigal Son

Listen to this song. :) There is a ton of good introspection in this song.  The meaning is actually very deep to everything he is saying and what the video shows.  He wrote this in honor of his friend's death.  People dying can do that to you, make you more introspective.  Listen closely to the lyrics and look closely at the objects the camera pans over. 

I'm Comin' Home by Diddy
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ImCpNqbJw


In this music video, he sees all the things that he THOUGHT would fulfill him and make him happy, just like Solomon in Ecc. 2 states:

" I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees..... I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart. 9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my labor,
and this was the reward for all my toil.
11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun."



But all these things are burned in this music video, symbolically showing that they are useless....music, suitcases for travel, TV, a bar, a chest of money.....He says, "Money can't make up for it or conceal it", women, his wardrobe, his "home" etc.  He sees that in the end they are all useless, "chasing after the wind" like solomon also concluded in Ecc.  They both had everything, but it didn't make them happy. 

In this song Dirty Money is the prodigal son coming home. :) woohoo! lol :)

Another way of looking at this video; I think it actually goes chronologically of his life.  First there is the boom box the he probably had when he was a kid. 

Then you see a podium behind the suitcases which would represent a church, and he was probably raised in the church, as most pop stars were ironically. :) 

But there are the suitcases, so he left the church to become a pop star, got famous on TV (as it shows the TV), drank a lot (the mini bar) and made his way in social circles to become famous, made tons of money (the chest of money) as most pop stars do, had all the women he wanted (the shot of two women), had all the clothes he wanted (his burned wardrobe), got his own house....but then the scene with the car....hm....

Wikipedia says, "Autobiographically written, "Coming Home" is inspired by moments in Diddy's life, the loss of his close friend, The Notorious B.I.G." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_Home_(Diddy_%E2%80%93_Dirty_Money_song)

Now that makes sense.  That was the reason for the car.  His friend was killed in a drive by shooting.  I cannot make out what the white object on top of the car is though.  Maybe you can. :)

A modern day lesson of Solomon in Ecclesiastes and the story of the Prodigal Son, how cool!  :)

"I'm comin' home; I'm comin' home.  Tell the world that I'm comin' home.  Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday.  I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes ("thank you" Diddy says lol) I'm comin' home; I'm comin' home.  Tell the world that I'm comin' home." 

His confessions: "What am I supposed to do when the club lights come on?....  What if the twins ask me why I aint married to their mom....I aint feeling strong....Another lie that I carry on.  I need to get back to the place (I came from) I'm comin home.....Money can't make up for it or conceal it....We've been living in sin....

In the final verse he says:
"We back cruising through Harlem, Viso blocks
It’s what made me, saved me, drove me crazy
Drove me away than embraced me
Forgave me for all of my shortcomings
Welcome to my homecoming
Yeah it’s been a long time coming
Lot of fights, lot of scars, lot of bottles
Lot of cars, lot of ups, lot of downs
Made it back, lost my dog (I miss you BIG)
And here I stand, a better man! (a better man)
Thank you Lord (Thank you Lord)"


Amen! 

Application to running after things: So what things are you running after to make you happy?  Why do you think that they will?  Do you realize in the end nothing on this earth will matter?

The prodigal son: Are you far off from where you started, with God, with church?  Do you want to get back?  Remember, God is always there with open arms welcoming you back.  :) 

May God remind us how fleeting our lives are and that praising Him and living to please Him is the only thing that matters. 

Amen!  God bless :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment