Friday, July 28, 2023

Disney Orphan Characters

 Have you ever realized that almost every Disney protagonist is an orphan in regards to at least one parent? In the Lion King, Simba's father dies early in his life. In the Little Mermaid, Ariel doesn't have a mom. Pocahontas doesn't have a mom. Mulan has both parents, but her dad is frail and on the verge of dying. Beauty, or Belle, has no mother. Cinderella has neither parent, and just has her evil step-mother. Snow White has only an evil step-mother also. Sleeping Beauty has both parents, but they weren't keeping tabs on her, and so she pricked her finger on the spindle. In The Rescuers, Penny was in an orphanage. In Oliver and Company, the girl seems to have no parents, but she has a dad who is off working a lot. In the Aristocats there is a widow who is all alone with no family. In Aladin, Jasmine does not have a mother. 

Why are there so many orphan kids in Disney movies? Maybe because Disney wanted to make movies that more people could relate to. We are all orphans in some way. 

I lost my dad when I was young. When I was 6, he molested me and was sent to jail. Later my parents got divorced. My first serious bf Greg never met his father. My next bf Michael had his dad and a step-mom. My next bf Roger had divorced parents and had a step-mom. My ex-husband Ben still had both parents. I think that helped him stay as normal as he was, until he went crazy. 

My bf after him Bryan had both parents. He was very lucky. My next bf Eric had divorced parents. He had not talked to his dad in about 10 years. My current man lost his dad when he was 19.

I had a thought at one point that God gave us all two parents so that we would at least always have one. It was just my mom and I when I was in high school. Those were actually the best years of my life. I loved it being just me and her. All you need is one parent. It is nice to have both, but it doesn't guarantee a better life. Single parents can raise well-adjusted, great kids too. The kid gets more attention from the single parent, which is nice. :)

I wonder if Disney was also mentally preparing kids for the inevitable situations. One parent might die. One parent might leave. Over half of kids in America are raised by one original parent. Lots of parents refuse to stay friends with each other and split up. Kids are left wondering why, but someday they will have a bf or a gf and they will realize how hard it is for two people to stay together. It is a crazy world now. It is a miracle that any two people can stay together forever now. 

I pray more couples will make it last until the end. "Until death do you part" right? Your mate may drive you nuts at times, but you can choose to still love them and forgive them no matter what. Stick it out for the kids. They will be ok if you break up, but they will enjoy their life more if you stay together. Try to stay together forever, if not for you, then for them. 

May God bless all the families with orphan kids. May they find joy in life even if they are missing one of their parents. 






No comments:

Post a Comment