Sunday, September 17, 2023

Boarding School

 In the move Three Men and a Little Lady, the mom decided to marry her director. He plans to send her little girl to boarding school right after they marry. I can't believe places like that ever existed. 

When I was a kid, I had a big fear of being sent to a place like that. Maybe my brother said, as a joke, that our parents would send me there if I misbehaved. 

I can only hope those places have been shut down. My grandma and her sister were put in an orphanage when my grandma was 2. She has happy memories mainly of living there, but I can't imagine growing up like that. 

It is hard to be a kid. You get no say in where you live or what you do. 

I had an ex that was sent to military school in high school. I always figured that made him feel really rejected by his parents. Our relationship ended when he shot up a building of a former boss who didn't pay him. I figured he had anger at his parents for sending him to the military school, and that was what spurned his anger that night. Poor guy. 

The situation in the movie made me think again how horrible it is for kids to have step-parents. No one should ever have to live with a step- parent. It is impossible for the step-parent to care for the child adequately. It is just an odd set up when you are raising someone else's kid. 

If you had a step-parent, I'm sure it sucked for you as much as it did for me. May all future children get to be raised by both of their biological parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment