Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Ice Skating

 I got a new area rug that feels like an ice skating rink. I don't get why they made it that slippery but oh well. It still looks nice. 

It makes me think of all the times I have been on ice. When I was a kid I grew up in Nebraska half of the time. The other half I was in California. In Nebraska I lived up a hill from a lake. In the winter it would freeze over, and I would go ice skating. Our family had a friend from church who knew how to measure the thickness of the ice. They would do that before I went out to ice skate. I remember the ice felt bumpy. I guess when natural water freezes it causes bumps. It almost seemed like the waves froze in place. 

I used to go ice skating for fun too. I remember our youth group played a game called broom ball. We rented out the ice rink and all of us went out on the ice with shoes on to play hockey. The problem when you do that is you keep falling. I had tons of bruises from playing that game. I can't believe all our parents allowed us to do that. It could have been really dangerous. I wonder if that's why years later I was working in a school. I was supposed to run games with the kids, but I didn't want them to get hurt. I knew all to much what it felt like to get seriously hurt playing a game. 

Another time I went ice skating with a summer camp I was working with. I was in charge of the 4th graders. I went whizzing by everyone all day around the rink. My boss said to me one time, "Show off" when I was passing him. That was funny. :)

I wish I would have gone ice skating more. There actually is an ice rink close to me. Maybe I'll do that again someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment