Tuesday, October 26, 2021

My Mom's Bitterness

 My mom is the most bitter woman you will ever meet. My whole life when I text her, she almost never texts me back. I literally only talk to her on the phone twice a year. It is the oddest thing. She just has always seemed to want nothing to do with me. Ever since I moved in with a boyfriend at age 25, I think she hasn't forgiven me for that. She couldn't believe I would live with a guy without being married to him. This was 12 years ago and I think she still holds that over my head. Some of you probably have parents who are like that too. They think they are your god, but they need to know they are NOT. 

Growing up it also seemed that no matter how great I did at anything, nothing impressed her. She never said wow or good job or that was amazing Lisa. I think most men live their whole lives trying to impress their dads, and most women live their whole lives trying to impress their moms. Older people generally look down on younger people, so that makes it even harder to impress your parents. I did so much to try to impress her. I went to India, Taiwan and Mexico on missions trips. All of that I thought would impress her. It didn't seem to matter to her one bit. I think I also hoped that it would maker her happy and pull her out of her depression, but it didn't. I almost always got straight A's in school. She didn't seem to care. She merely just expected that from me, so it didn't wow her in any way. I was the only person in my family to get a college degree. She never seemed to care about that. Nothing I did impressed her at all. 

I had a beautiful family. My husband was successful. My two daughters were the most beautiful little girls ever created. But then there was one thing wrong. My oldest was taking awhile being able to speak fluently like a normal person. I guess she had a speech delay. It seemed like my mom focused on that like a laser for literally 3 years. I should have been like, "Would you please let it go! Who cares? She is only 3 years old! Everything else about my family is great. Why do you have to pick on that one thing?" Honestly I think her nitpicking about that was what started the deterioration of my family. I don't know if that was her intention. I don't know why she couldn't just let it go that my oldest daughter seemed to be slower then other kids, but she couldn't. She kept bringing it up and bringing it up. "Women boy," I like to say a lot. :) Women just know how to nit pick and bring destruction so easily and so quickly. They don't realize how powerful and destructive their comments are and their criticism. 

Moms, be careful what you say to your daughters. Your opinion means the world to them and you can wreck their entire world if you are overly critical of them. Your daughter is doing the best she can, with her job, her marriage, and her kids. She is probably already feeling insecure about not doing things perfectly. Don't make it worse for her and harder then it already is. 

If you seem to have a critical spirit like my mom, pray about it. Say, "God I don't want to be critical like this anymore. Please set me free. Please help me to accept others just as they are and not always try to change them. Help me to remember I am not their god, only you are their God. Give me patience when others fall short of what I think they should be. I know not everything has to be perfect. Nothing in life is perfect. Help me to accept that and never expect anything to be perfect ever again."

God bless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment