Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Polarizing

 I heard my mom say that married couples tend to polarize each other. One will spend lots of money and so then the other will be super frugal. One might sleep too much and the other one sleeps barely at all. One eats too much and the other is almost anorexic. 

It is odd when you see this polarization in the same person. My current bf is both super frugal but super spendthrift. He will gamble 7k away in Vegas, but not get french fries at Burger King. It doesn't make any sense to me. I was just thinking it reminds me of another bf I had. He would eat ONLY eggs and oatmeal 24/7, but then sometimes he would eat an entire cheesecake. I would see the empty containers in his car of the cheesecakes that he would get. Every time I would think, "You hypocrite. Acting like you're all healthy and then you eat a whole cheesecake." I never understood it. 

I think the reason is that the more you try to restrain yourself, at some point you will just go crazy and eat a whole cheese cake or blow 7k in Vegas. I have always been more balanced. I consistently blow money, but in little ways. :) I am learning to be more frugal though, thanks to the influence of my Jewish bf. Or maybe I have taught him to be more frugal. I suppose he tightens his belt so to speak so that he Can go blow tons of money in 3 days. I don't get it. I think it is a bit of a sickness.  Why not just be the same all the time? Otherwise you are like two people in one body. 

But I suppose we all are two people in one body aren't we? Our flesh and the spirit. "If you walk in the spirit you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh." I am really getting into walking in the spirit now again, with watching sermons non stop. I had really missed watching TD Jakes, Joyce Meyer, Steven Furtick and Jentezen Franklin. I went through a long period of being in the world more, because all my bf wanted to do was watch movies. Maybe it was good to have a break from a religious spirit for awhile. It can be good to just have fun sometimes and cut loose, but not too loose. :) I almost got my bf into Joseph Prince the other day, but he is Jewish so Christian sermons aren't his favorite thing in the world. 

He was raised very different then I was. He was raised to chase money, and I was raised to just love God and be ok with little money. But there were elements of his upbringing that were religious and there were people I knew, like my step dad, who were more focused on money. 

What do you tend to do? Do you swing back and forth from one extreme to another, or are you more balanced? 


No comments:

Post a Comment