Saturday, February 18, 2023

Anger Over Physical Injury

A few years ago, both of my daughters got seriously injured. If anything has made me feel unstable in life, it was those two things. My youngest cut her finger on her bike one day. She was trying to ride her big sister's bike. I thought she was tall enough, so I let her try it. She tipped over at the end of the driveway and the bike fell on her finger. She had her finger over the side of the handle bar. We drove her quickly to the ER, and she got stitches. Her finger was wrapped up for about a month. Luckily when it healed, she still had her finger nail. That was probably the most traumatizing day of my life.

A couple months later my oldest girl got hurt badly. We were all going down a river trial sidewalk by our house. My ex and I were on roller blades. I was pushing our youngest in a stroller, and my oldest was on her scooter. We came to the top of a big hill. My oldest looked like she wanted to get in the double stroller. I should have had her get in it, but pride comes before a fall. I figured she could handle the hill on her scooter. She went down it and fell at the bottom and hit her head. She got a big bump on the top of her forehead. It really freaked me out. We all started running back to the car. Her face was somewhat scraped up. We rushed her home so I could put ice on the bump on her head. 

I kept wondering if she should have gone to the ER, but the bump went away pretty quickly. I think my ex told his mom what happened because a week later, she was randomly at our house to pick up Serenity and take her away for a week. I don't know if that was her saying she didn't want me to be her mom anymore. Maybe she wanted to punish me for letting that happen to Serenity. Or she was just being a nosy grandma who wanted to stick her nose into everything in our lives. It felt pretty odd to me that she did that at that time. I wish I would have not let Serenity go that day, because that was pretty much the last time I saw her. A week later my ex-husband left to go live with his mom and our family was done. I took my youngest daughter out to live with them a month later. I wanted her to be with her sister. I then tried to find a new family to care for, and I did for a season. I met a great guy and kind of adopted his son for a year. Now I am about to have my third child with a new guy. I can only hope this family will last forever. 

All that happened, and I lost the 3 people closest to me, because of some crazy freak accident. Not that that was the only reason for our family break up, but it was basically the straw that broke the camel's back. 

If you ever think of doing hard physical activities with your family, don't. Play it safe. Make sure they are always really safe. Of course that might mean having less fun, but it's better to be safe and bored than to lose your entire family over some crazy accident. 


Psalm 4:8 

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."


No comments:

Post a Comment