Friday, February 17, 2023

Work Place Abuse


I had the worst last 2 bosses. Both had terrible temper tantrums often that were out of the blue and totally uncalled for. One night a very young manager that I had told me to not clean anything until closing. So then I was going to order and make food and he said, "Don't make any food." He was basically telling me I couldn't do anything. I had felt God tell me before work that I would need to put him in his place that day, so I did. I finally went off on him. I had had enough of his rigid dictator control. I was yelling at him telling him he wasn't running the entire country. It was just a pizza store. I think no one had challenged him like that before, which is why he was the little dictator that he was. I knew I could probably get away with saying all that, because I knew everyone there loved me. It was probably the most I have ever yelled at someone in my life. I was tired of his abuse and of him abusing the other workers. He was ridiculous sometimes in how he ran the store. But he was only 21. That was a lot to put on such a young guy. He was pretty much completely running that Papa John's at only 21. We had an ongoing love/hate relationship that was quite entertaining for all our friends around us I'm sure. 

My next Papa John's boss was only 26. He too had annoying dictatorship issues. A few times he was verbally abusive toward me. Pizza work is highly stressful, so it is common that people flip out on each other. One time I was cutting a pizza. He came over and picked up two slices and said they were not at all the same size. He threw the whole pizza away. I went and sat in the walk in fridge to cool off. I realized then I probably needed to quit. For some reason I stayed, but a month later I was putting away the truck shipment in the fridge. He didn't want me to do that right then, so he came in there, saw me and slammed the door to the walk in. I finally decided that was my last day there. I am glad I never went back. 

Overly young people really should not be managers. It is admirable when they try to do it, but there can be a lot of mess ups and lack of class. It was a challenge for sure to be dictated by those two guys for 3 years, but I survived. 

If you are being abused at work, just leave. The abuse will probably only continue. There are plenty of good jobs out there. Just go find a new one, and hopefully there will be less or no abuse at your new job. 

Romans 12:19-21

"If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."


No comments:

Post a Comment